Using Torrified Wheat for Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
Northern Brewer's site says that torrified wheat will "increase head retention and body at as low as 8% of the grist."

In the first IPAs I brewed, I used CaraPils for head retention. In my last recipe I substituted for torrified wheat. I did this because torrified wheat should ferment out better than CaraPils (I think; 80% extract for torrified wheat vs. 73-74% extract for CaraPils). In all cases, I've only added a flat 1/2 lb, which is usually somewhere between 3-4% of the grist. I just saw the 8% recommendation from NB today and it got me a bit curious. Although that's not a ton, it does seem a little on the high side for a minimum. That means for anything over 11.5lbs of base malt & other grains, you'd need more than 1lb of the torrified wheat. That just seems like a bit much; I don't want wheat to be a significant part of the character in my IPA.

So, I'm curious if others here on HBT find that you really need 8% of the grist to get the head retention out of torrified wheat, or if less does the trick for you?

Cheers! :mug:

(Side Note: It's stupid that my browser auto-corrects "torrified" to "terrified" every single time.)

To get back to the OP, if you just want head retention, do you really need that much though? Is a half lb in a 5 gal batch enough, or do you really need at least full lb for most recipes?

I was at my LHBS over the weekend and the manager told me to add a scoop of Torrified Wheat to the overall grain bill. He didn't give a precise amount. When I added the scoop it came out to .25 lb. The total grain amount was 12 lb including the Torrified Wheat. I can't comment on whether or not it was enough at the moment as I just brewed over the weekend, but thought I'd share what my LHBS suggested.

I've always gotten great head retention with 5-8% (carapils, torrified wheat, flaked wheat, etc.) I didn't get good lacing until I went to about 10% (with some system changes as well)

I've tried about 10% tapioca starch for body and head retention, because it's flavourless ... and adds alcohol to boot. It's supposed to convert extremely well, but I always get a huge amount of sludge in the secondary. I think getting the right yeast is key for using these starchy adjuncts. I've had brews chuck along for two weeks + in the primary, presumably breaking down the complex starches. SABMiller is making some sort of 'beer' from cassava. I'd like to know what they figured out...

When I use it, I use 6oz for 5 gallons. It works out to about 4% - 5%. But these day's I get pretty good head retention without it.

I stopped using Carapils unless I only need it for adding body. Carapils leaves you sweet on the FG. When I do it, I mash low to make up for the unfermentables.

Holy old thread, batman.

A good controlled fermentation is what I use now for head retention. I've learned a lot in the last year since this OP.

Sure, stuff like torrified wheat helps with head retention, but I get good head retention without as well. I've switched to oxygenating with a stone; that makes a big difference. Proteins that hold foam together into a stable head are kinda one use only. So stuff like aerating by shaking just eats into available head retention proteins down the line. That and a good temp controlled fermentation have fixed all my head retention woes.

Back