Using spent grains as bait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeagleBrew

Reaction score
This is my first year hunting and after doing some reading seen that pheasants like grains. Just wondering if there are any upland game hunters here who have tried using their spent grains to lure the birds out?

Depends on whether it's legal in your state or not. Baiting is illegal here in Ohio. You even have to clean the dropped grains out of the fields,as it's concidered baiting. They need to stop giving the critters too many advantages & taking away all of mine. A-holes that they are. They probably don't hunt & are bleeding hearts besides. I really hate that crap.

Yep, I would see if it's legal.
Some states are O.K. with batting, lots of them aren't.
Besides, if you are starting out hunting you should be learning about the animals and how to find them rather than just trying to improve percentages harvesting them.

I don't hunt but I throw my spent grains in the woods behind the house (the woods start about 40 ft from the house) and in the winter there are about 5 deer aeting them? So it does work but like "unionrdr" says......the A-holes might have made it illegal.

45_70sharps said:
Yep, I would see if it's legal.
Some states are O.K. with batting, lots of them aren't.
Besides, if you are starting out hunting you should be learning about the animals and how to find them rather than just trying to improve percentages harvesting them.

+1 you need to learn to HUNT not just shoot an animal. If you only want to shoot a bird, then buy a chicken and shoot it.

I've been hunting for nearly 20 years and I've never used bait and I wouldn't use bait even if I could. I think that to become a hunter you have to be able to adapt and overcome to take an animal using woodsmanship instead of being lazy and using bait. It also shows a lack of respect for the land and the animal you are trying to take. What skill is there in waiting for a feeder to trip or an animal to come to your bait?

If you're gonna put out your grains put them out in the winter and spring. Wild pheasants need all the help they can get especially with CRP being what it is.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Calm er down there Pap's I've spent tons of time in the woods and have already got my fair share of birds this season, using the good hunter "woodmanship" as you stated. Just wanted to see if it has been done. So don't get your panties in a not, the way the birds are coming this year I don't think I would ever need to. Also throwing the grains in the off season might help populate an area that has a dwindling population as long as it doesn't turn into a bird feeder. Than again I don't brew enough to have that much grain.

BadBeagleBrew said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Calm er down there Pap's I've spent tons of time in the woods and have already got my fair share of birds this season, using the good hunter "woodmanship" as you stated. Just wanted to see if it has been done. So don't get your panties in a not, the way the birds are coming this year I don't think I would ever need to. Also throwing the grains in the off season might help populate an area that has a dwindling population as long as it doesn't turn into a bird feeder. Than again I don't brew enough to have that much grain.

Didn't mean to bite your head off. But baiting and high fence hunting really pi$$ me off.

Didn't mean to bite your head off. But baiting and high fence hunting really pi$$ me off.

Me too. Calling it hunting is a stretch. Hunting is so much more than the kill.

Oh, and by the way, all god's creatures love spent grain. From birds to deer.

Not to hijack, as this seems to be about bird hunting, but have people had success using spent grain for catfish and carp? Hadn't thought of doing it (brewing sort of replaced fishing as a hobby) but seems like it'd work well.

And I'm talking about making bait attached to the end of their line, not tossing tons of grain in your favorite honey hole.

Not to hijack, as this seems to be about bird hunting, but have people had success using spent grain for catfish and carp? Hadn't thought of doing it (brewing sort of replaced fishing as a hobby) but seems like it'd work well.

And I'm talking about making bait attached to the end of their line, not tossing tons of grain in your favorite honey hole.

I used to dump my spent grain iin the lake by our dock. Now I give iit to a friend with chickens. But when I did, it would be gone in the morning. I'm assuming fish ate it. Or turtles. Never saw them though. The bream seemd to prefer floating catfish food. That, you can see them feed.

Lol its all good I can understand your frustration, wheats high fence hunting?

Intensive herd management, but with deer. Artificial insemination, genetic mapping, selective breeding to select for bucks expressing large antler growth. They then selectively harvest those bucks, using clients with more money than ethics.

Subsailor said:
I keep reading where that stuff is more and more of the norm down there in lower 48.

I'd say that it's more the exception than the rule. I've never seen a high fence operation but they are out there. I've heard of them in TX and WI. I wouldn't be suprised if there are some in Pike County, IL though.

The reason pap's gets upset is because of guys like this, who think its their god-given right to slaughter game instead of hunt it:

I don't hunt but I throw my spent grains in the woods behind the house (the woods start about 40 ft from the house) and in the winter there are about 5 deer aeting them? So it does work but like "unionrdr" says......the A-holes might have made it illegal.

Back