Using Saflager S-23 at below 10C/50F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schia

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm going to brew a lager just as soon as I get my temperature regulated and right now my fermentation fridge is hitting slightly below 10C/50F. Can you please advice from your experience if this Saflager yeast will work at this temp? In the packaging it says preferred temp is at 11c but any idea if it will work at lower temp?

Saflager%20s-23.JPG

When I used this years at that low I got a lot of fruity esters. I would recommend for cleaner flavors move it up to like 55.

When I used this years at that low I got a lot of fruity esters. I would recommend for cleaner flavors move it up to like 55.

How much did you pitch? Just asking because normal grav brews are going to need nearly 2 full sachets. I sachet might give you stressed yeast and more esters.

I have used this one often at 48-52 and have ended up with a clean profile every time. Fermentis says 54 (12C) is ideal, though: http://www.fermentis.com/FO/pdf/HB/EN/Saflager_S-23_HB.pdf

Btw, I am conducting an experiment this winter comparing S-23 and WLP833 (German Bock) on four identical worts using identical technique. I have some interesting results already, but I am not to the taste comparison stage yet, so I am holding off on the report.

yea I used 2. I just kegged a Munich Helles that I used wlp833 and I think it tastes a bit cleaner than the saflager.

Let me know your results from your test.

I use S-23 at 8C (46.4F) regularly. I pitch 2 packets per 5 gallons rehydrated in a small amount of water. It takes a while to get started and about 2.5 weeks to finish but Ive always been happy with it.

I use S-23 at 8C (46.4F) regularly. I pitch 2 packets per 5 gallons rehydrated in a small amount of water. It takes a while to get started and about 2.5 weeks to finish but Ive always been happy with it.

ooooooo i might have to try that. still comes out very clean? ever build a starter with one?

Back