Using Safale US-05 at 60 F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot lager a beer (due to a lack of space) but I want to try to make a pilsner style ale by using Safale US-05‎ at the 60 F temperature range. Has anyone had success in doing this? What kind of results did you have?

My son routinely uses S-05 yeast fermenting at 62 degrees F and he gets insanely low F.G.s. Try it. His F.G.s are routinely below 1.010. He gets a nice dry result, less filling, higher %ABV than expected. He's not complaining. You won't be either. Experiment. It may cause you to reconsider your 68 degree fermentations.

I have fermented several batches with 05 in the low 60s with great success.

I just checked my notes. I started these batches at 62 for 36 hrs than ramped to 66. Maybe this is why I haven noticed the leach esters.

I am not a fan. I find that So5 throws weird esters at below about 65 and above 68, so as a result I rarely use it. It's weirdly "peachy" at under 63 or so, and I dislike it.

If you want a "clean" lager like beer, nottingham at the temperature would work, or the steam beer yeast (I think it's Wyeast 2112), or a cream ale yeast blend, or maybe WLP001. Pacman would work well, but I don't know if it's available. I would avoid S05 like the plague at 60 degrees, though.

Might also try german ale/kolsch yeast. But keep in mind that bottom cropping (lager) yeast readily ferments some slightly complex sugars that ale yeasts do not.

Imho, notty gives a slight fruity ester no matter what temp it ferments at. And I have also run s-05 in the low 60s and not noticed these peachy phenolics, but my sensory analysis is not great.

I would suggest lower SG beers for awhile, then actually do something with lager yeast and you will undoubtedly taste what i'm talking about

I haven't tried to ferment that low, but heard on the brewing network how Sierra Nevada experiments with fermentation at that temperature. The thing I gathered from the info was to increase pitching rates maybe try 2 packs of yeast and hydrate well, sense it will be a harsher informant for the yeast.

I've found the low limit to be 60-62. It starts throwing esters. Liquid cal ale will give you cleaner flavors but if you get it too low (55°?) it will also give you a lot of sulfur that will be a problem if you bottle condition.

I think if you can be sure to keep it under 60°, then s-23 might be a better option.

I have fermented several batches with 05 in the low 60s with great success.

I just checked my notes. I started these batches at 62 for 36 hrs than ramped to 66. Maybe this is why I haven noticed the leach esters.

Leach esters ?... I think you might have an infection

If you want a very clean beer that could pass as a Pils, use Notty instead.
I sorta like the peachy esters, but the US05-fermented below 65 degrees I brewed were anything but clean.

Two of the best (and lightest colored) beers I've made so far where done with US05 at near 60f (ambient air in the mid 50's - fermenter wrapped in towels or a light winter coat). One was an american wheat & the other was centennial blonde - neither had a peachy taste and neither had enough malty or hoppy flavors to hide much.

With that said - I'd use the California Common yeast if I wanted a lagger like flavor as that is what it is. I have also had good results with that at the low 60's

Just my 2c but I've used Nottingham several times in the low 60's, all with good results and quite clean (to my palate anyway).

Interesting. I routinely ferment at 59 - 60 with US05 and never noticed peachy flavors and I brew a lot of Cream and Blonde ales where those esters would be noticeable. I had a Cream ale finish at 1.006 once (I mashed low) and it was crisp, dry and delicious. My session beers routinely finish around 1.008.

I've used Notty before and didn't like it. I'd have to check my notes but I think I picked up some strange esters (strange as in "flavors I wasn't expecting").

Since some people report peachy flavors and some don't, I wonder if water chemistry has an influence.

In the last year, I've started using S04 and it's become my go to strain. FG is a bit higher than US05 but it finishes fast and I like that it compacts so well making clearer beer.

However, I don't think S04 would give you the "lager-like" profile you are after. I would recommend US05 for that.

Experiment, let your taste buds decide and report back!

Why not a California Common? With Danstar American West coast Ale?

But I agree that keeping 05 in a 65 to 68 range is best

I use US05 60-64 quite often, never a problem, lots of Cream Ales and Blondes. In the low 60's, Wy1010, Wy2112 and Wy2565 also do very good.

Tony

Blueflint are you a flintknapper?? I use 05 almost all the time for my ales. I am new and only done 13 batch's so far, but they taste good and are clean and clear. I am wanting to do a lager next week end while the temps are still cold. My back porch stays a little above 50.

I've got a cream ale on the go right now. It's my first time brewing with us-05 but it's at 62 degrees and it's going bonkers.

60degs is within recommended temps, I doubt it would add any flavors if done correctly at that temp. but you may get better fermentation at sightly higher temps without any flavor changes.
Cause 3: Too Cold The fermentation conditions may be too cold for an otherwise healthy yeast population. Ale yeast tend to go dormant below 60¡F. If the yeast were re-hydrated in really warm water (105¡F) and then pitched to a much cooler wort (65¡F), the large difference in temperature can thermally shock the yeast and cause a longer lag time as they adjust. Or in some cases, that otherwise normal ale fermentation temperature could cause those warm-acclimated yeast to call it quits.
Cure: Try warming the fermentor by 5¡F; it may make all the difference.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-1.html

"12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 15-22°C (59-71.6°F)" http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf

I wonder if people are mentioning the ambient temp or the fermentation temp. I've done 05 below 60 a few times (ambient) and the results were pretty gross. Not peach esters, rotten fruit seems more appropriate.

Either way, if your going that low, go with Notty. It is a beast and comes out super clean that low, maybe even cleaner than 05 at 65.

I fermented us05 at 60f in an american wheat for a comp....I thought the peachy esters would have been nice...judges picked up on it right away...not in a good way

I would go with San Fran Lager and mash low if you want to do a Pilsner type beer. Or Wyeast Bavarian Lager. People have reported the Bavarian Lager to do well at the higher end of the lager range, high 50's low 60's.

Another option is to use lager yeast at as cool of a temperature as you can:

https://byo.com/stories/item/1564-vienna-lager-in-exile

"A little-known fact about lager yeasts is that they can be used at ale temperatures. Your beer will be more estery than a standard lager, but will still taste like lager beer. Many times homebrewers who wish to replicate a lager beer at ale temperatures are told to use a clean ale strain (or a “steam” beer strain) of yeast. However, a clean ale does not really taste like a lager. A “dirty” lager, however, will still taste lager-like — it will just have more yeast-derived aroma."

The OP never mentioned the reason for specifically using S-05. Is it a matter of cost, what yeast you have on hand, or lack of ability to condition at lager temps?

I’m a huge fan of the Kolsch style and it’s one I do in regular rotation in my brewing. If you want to ferment around 60F, Wyeast Kolsch will give you what you are looking for. I’ve had very lager-like results with primary fermentation temp (not ambient) reaching upwards of 65-67F.

That said, if you don’t have the ability to cold-condition for three to four weeks, you will have a really cloudy beer. The conditioning is very predictable: four weeks near freezing and you have a beautiful clear beer. I’ve never experimented with post-fermentation finings with this strain, it may well work out just fine.

At 60 degrees if you want lager like go with a Kolsch or california common/san franciso lager yeast. If you only have US 05 you will get a pretty clean beer at 60 degrees.

This thread is making me nervous! I had 2 batches go under 60 last week with us-50.I quickly wrapped them up and added heat but for at least a day they hit 58-59.I racked one to keg and other to secondary for chocolate additions but preliminary tastes were not bad..Hope they stay that way.I will find out in a week or so

No need to worry about it going under 60. It will ferment just fine in the mid 50's. Just be aware it will take much longer for fermentation to complete. I had a batch go as low as 53 and it came out awesome. Took 2 weeks to get to the end of fermentation though. Just make sure you warm it up to the mid 60's low 70's near the end of active fermentation to take care of any diacetyl.

This thread is making me nervous! I had 2 batches go under 60 last week with us-50.I quickly wrapped them up and added heat but for at least a day they hit 58-59.I racked one to keg and other to secondary for chocolate additions but preliminary tastes were not bad..Hope they stay that way.I will find out in a week or so

Unless it was at peak fermentation you will be fine. It is was during peak you might get some peach flavors that are discussed in this thread. But it will still be a good beer.

And don't worry about the "peach" flavor many have referred to. Most people cannot detect it.

And its also a thing of the recipe. I fermented two beers below 65F (more like 60/62) with US5. One had about twice the amount of hops of the other and the peachy esters, while detectable, were not as dominant.

Not to mention : those esters aren't "bad" or anything, unless you're going for a competition. Its just that it isnt a "clean" beer. If anything, I might just brew the exact same beer at some point, only with a more complementary hop such as Rakau or Summer (instead of Sterling, which doesn't even for badly for the little amount I put in).

I cannot lager a beer (due to a lack of space) but I want to try to make a pilsner style ale by using Safale US-05‎ at the 60 F temperature range. Has anyone had success in doing this? What kind of results did you have?
I have taken SO5 down to 55F for fermentation of an Oktoberfest. The fermentation took several days, but finished at the expected attenuation and the resulting beer was very clean and lager-like.

Plenty of info on the forum here and threads on Ale temp fermentation (65-70F) with great results using Saflager 34-70. It gives a great clean, clear result that does not require lager fermentation temps or post fermentation lagering, just cold crash/keg cold for a couple weeks and enjoy!

Last edited:
Back