Using Sabro hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyp42

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im wanting to brew a mango hazy IPA and Im going to use a previous recipe but I want to add Sabro hops to get that coconut flavour from them. Here is the original Hop schedule below. Just wondering how much Sabro I should add and where? Should I sub it for the Citra perhaps? Or just split the Citra quantity in half and add sabro as the balance?

Thanks in advance.

• HOPS
  • 0.75 oz. (21 g) Warrior pellet hops @ 60 min
  • 0.3 oz. (9 g) Warrior pellet hops @ 30 min
  • 3 oz. (85 g) Citra pellet hops @ 0 min
  • 3 oz. (85 g) Mosaic pellet hops @ 0 min
  • 3 oz. (85 g) Citra pellet hops @ dry hop, 3 days
  • 3 oz. (85 g) Mosaic pellet hops @ dry hop, 3 days

I've used Sabro and didn't get any coconut. It had coconut aroma in the kettle , but none in the glass. Citra is pretty powerful so I'd go heavier on the Sabro then Citra.

If it were me I'd scratch the 30 min hop .
I'd go 60 , 10, 5 then WP.

I've used Sabro and didn't get any coconut. It had coconut aroma in the kettle , but none in the glass. Citra is pretty powerful so I'd go heavier on the Sabro then Citra.

If it were me I'd scratch the 30 min hop .
I'd go 60 , 10, 5 then WP.
I'm with you. I didn't get any coconut flavor from them at all. I was unimpressed with them myself. Want coconut? Add coconut :)

Cheers
Jay

I'm with you. I didn't get any coconut flavor from them at all. I was unimpressed with them myself. Want coconut? Add coconut :)

Cheers
Jay
I added coconut last time I brewed this recipe and didnt get any coconut flavour so thought sabro hops might do the trick instead.

Use it very late and a big dry hop addition; I've found that the coconut is quite elusive no matter how much I use. It just shows up once in a while and is surprising. Paired with Citra it makes a great IPA. I'd also ditch the bittering addition if you want that tropical flavor to it.

I have used Sabro several times in the 3-4 oz dry hop addition. Usually get cedar/wood slight coconut but like others said it comes and goes. Sabro is definitely a tricky one to brew with and quite potent.

It depends on how much you use. I had a Hazy locally that was all Sabro and I couldn't choke down more than 3-4 ounces of it before it seemed like I was drinking sun tan lotion.

This.

Sabro is intense, even in smaller amounts among other hops. Use sparingly. Sun tan lotion and coconut creamsicle are the characters I get from it. I abhor it personally, but as a BIT player I can see its place. Even at 50% of a hop bill I find it undrinkably overpowering.

Replacing half the Citra with Sabro (and keeping the other half of the Citra) would be the max I'd use, and that might still be too much.

It's funny that some people don't get coconut from sabro, it's literally all I get. And though I'm not big on actual coconut, I dig sabro quite a bit. My favorite usage so far is in roughly 50/50 split (counting the dryhop) with mosaic. But if you don't want it to overpower the beer, you go go as low as say, 20-30% of the hop bill.

I would do a hop stand at 180F for ten minutes and see what happens. I made a solid Kolsch style with it as an aroma/flavor hop, used an 1oz(yeah, yeah purists it's not a Kolsch at that point) and I got coconut and fruit. YMMV

I didn't get coconut from Sabro either. I used it in a coconut pineapple wheat and without the coconut puree I added the flavor would have been missing.

Digging up an old thread....
I did a hazy with 1oz of Sabro Lupomax and 2oz BRU-1 in the whirlpool, and the same charge as a dry hop at 2 days. Fermented with voss. Lots of pineapple/citrus of course, but it had this creamy/coconut thing in the background. It was quite nice. I think I would add an oz of regular Sabro on top of everything else to try and accentuate the coconut/cream thing.

Latest posts

Back