Using Pilsner malt with a condenser lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Greetings

There has been plenty of discussions on boil rate when using Pilsner malts. After my brewery remodel I will now use a condenser lid on my boil kettle.

Am I going to have issues with DMS when I use Pils?

Why, that was sure fast.

I tend to trust science. Thanks man.
I have one of those spike lids and I have zero issues with DMS. You can actually tell that it's coming out with the steam because the bucket I let the steam hat drain into smells like straight DMS haha. So yeah, no issues in my experience and I've even done a few truncated boils of 30 minutes and still no problems. I think todays malts are just so much better than in the past that also helps with this.

I have one of those spike lids and I have zero issues with DMS. You can actually tell that it's coming out with the steam because the bucket I let the steam hat drain into smells like straight DMS haha. So yeah, no issues in my experience and I've even done a few truncated boils of 30 minutes and still no problems. I think todays malts are just so much better than in the past that also helps with this.

Biggz - Thanks.

I am going to take this off topic as, well, I am the OP.

What have you observed with boil off rate? I use Beersmith as my brewing software, what kind of adjustments need I make?

I'm just starting with my condenser and plan on recycling the water. Is there any issue with DMS doing that?

Back