Using OD (Optical Density) for determination of yeast concentration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnycreature

Beer Crafter, Metalhead \m/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When working with bacteria the concentration of cells for certain applications (like IPTG induction) can be approximated by taking the optical density (OD) reading of the culture. I was wondering if anyone here knows something about using the OD method to test a yeast starter culture and determine a proper pitch rate this way. Of course one would need a spectrophotometer but I'm just curious if anyone has ever looked into this.

:mug:

There's a decent amount of easily obtained literature available on the topic, a cursory search indicates. Using a ~600nm light source is a common thread. Still, dilution followed by hemocytometer use seems to be the prevailing method...

Cheers!

There's a decent amount of easily obtained literature available on the topic, a cursory search indicates. Using a ~600nm light source is a common thread. Still, dilution followed by hemocytometer use seems to be the prevailing method...

Cheers!

So it seems! Of course it'd be just a coarse method but if I could borrow a spectrophotometer and a couple of cuvettes from work it'd be a nice thing to try. :mug:

Those old bausch and lomb (sp?) spectrophotometers can be had for pretty cheap on ebay, although you'll probably need to get a new bulb (they're cheap, too, from bulbster.com). I got an old one for a hundred bucks once. They work pretty well, especially if you just need a measurement at a single wavelength.

Back