Using Melanoidin malt to simulate effects of a 3+ hour boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I planned on brewing a 4.5 gallons of Kolsch. Very basic batch, all 2 Row with a handfull of wheat. Everything was going great until I realized I hadn't checked the brew kettle in a few and I had way more run off than I needed. We're talking 8 gallons when I only needed 5.5. That resulted in a long 3 hours boil and produced an amazing Kolsch. The color was also pale with orange.

I tried making this beer again with the same base, but it lacked the malt profile of the original kolsch. It was also very pale, less than the first batch. Also, the finish was less dry.

I posit that the three hour boil created that complex malt favor that I'm missing. The traditional answer would be to employ some decocting, but that's not in the works right now.

My answer is melanoidin. My understanding is that as a specialty malt, it adds the slight color and distinct flavor that comes with camerlizing wort.

I don't want this to be more than a 1% contribution, I'm trying to keep it subtle. But is 1% noticable in a style like a Kolsch?

Thanks for the help

Back