Using McCormick Extracts in bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
On another Brew Forum I read this interesting concept. Anyone every try this? If using bottles would this affect carbonation at all?

Most of the extracts from HB supply shops taste like cough syrup. My suggestion would be to try some Oregon fruit puree or look in the grocery store for McCormick extracts. I recently made a Raspberry Dunkel Wiessbier and used about 2 tablespoons of McCormick natural raspberry extract (in the bottling bucket) and it's the best fruit beer I have made and much less of a hassle than using real fruit. Sorry to all tradionalists who insist on using real fruit. Good luck.

BP - I know the guy who wrote that - can tell by the style - he converted that same recipe to extract for me and it's the hit of the summer - used McMormick's raspberry extract in the bottling bucket - the taste was a bit strong at bottling plus two weeks, but at three weeks it had begun to settle down, at four it's just perfectly subtle and quite delicious.

Go forth and report your results!

Skol!

I would be REAL cautious about putting extract right into the bottling bucket. It can get overpowering REAL EASY. I recommend using half right at the end of the boil, and put the other half in when you rack into the secondary.

sirsloop said:
I would be REAL cautious about putting extract right into the bottling bucket. It can get overpowering REAL EASY. I recommend using half right at the end of the boil, and put the other half in when you rack into the secondary.

thanks for the input sirsloop...

btw, here's the link to the McCormick Extracts...

http://www.mccormick.com/content.cfm?id=7030

and the list:

Baker's Imitation Vanilla
Clear Imitation Vanilla Extract
Imitation Almond Extract
Imitation Butter Flavor
Imitation Coconut Extract
Imitation Rum Extract
Imitation Vanilla Butter & Nut Flavor
Mint Extract
Pure Anise Extract
Pure Orange Extract
Pure Vanilla Extract
Root Beer Concentrate
Cinnamon Extract
French Vanilla Blend
Imitation Banana Extract
Imitation Cherry Extract
Imitation Maple Flavor
Imitation Strawberry Extract
Imitation Vanilla Extract
Pure Almond Extract
Pure Lemon Extract
Pure Peppermint Extract
Raspberry Extract

Sounds like one could come up with some very tasty and inovative combinations too...:drunk:

Like maybe a

Coconut Rum Ale

or a

Cherry Vanilla Ale

or maybe even a

Butter Almond Stout

who knows :cross: :drunk: :p

sirsloop said:

btw, so your theory here, if i understand, would just give more time for the extract to mellow out.... is that correct?

I used 1oz of Chocolate Extract, 1oz Pure Vanilla Extract, and 1oz Coconut Extract in my "German Chocolate" stout, all at the end of my boil. I just bottled it tonight and it has a real nice coconut aroma. I didnt use McCormicks though. I found all natural extract in the "organic" food section in Wegmans. Worked out great and it was actually cheaper than the overpriced McCormicks stuff!!

My buddy told me about the half/half trick after using the "recommened amount" of cherry extract for a cherry wheat. It smelled like cough syrup. The next batch he added the extract as I described above with excellent results.

Unfortunetly you Texans do not have Wegmans down there (at least I dont think, yet). Anyone from the NE that has them... they will tell you its the all mighty pimp grocery store :)

sirsloop said:
Unfortunetly you Texans do not have Wegmans down there (at least I dont think, yet). Anyone from the NE that has them... they will tell you its the all mighty pimp grocery store :)

From Rochester NY myself. Yup, that would be about the sum of it.... then again I could always have my Mother in Law send me some:)

heh heh... rochester eh? You have probably seen "the ghetto" wegmans near Fairport. That one was like the originial wegmans in the rocha area. I grew up in Watkins Glen, moved to Ithaca right before college, and have been in Englishtown, NJ the last 3 years.

funny you mention mother in laws... my step-mother grew up in rochester too before moving in with my pops in Ithaca.

MY MIL's about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, from Rochester, little town of Bath, NY. Town's got nothin' but a VA hospital. But, she and the rest of SWMBO's family is from Buffalo, and going to Wegmen's when we're out there is like stepping into a little oasis.

I remember a year or two ago the company being ranked #1, I believe by Business Week, as a company to work for.

Bath is about 30 minutes out of Watkins Glen... I went to school at Alfred State, about 30 minutes west of Bath off rt17. I probably drove though there 100 times while at school. Small world :)

bath has a rockin Salvation Army!! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

I've only been there twice, she got remarried a few years ago and moved there with her husband. Sad little town from what I can see. Buddy of mine grew up in Rochester, told him once that we were headed out to Bath for the weekend, he looked at me all concerned and asked, simply...

"WHY?"

the_bird said:
I've only been there twice, she got remarried a few years ago and moved there with her husband. Sad little town from what I can see. Buddy of mine grew up in Rochester, told him once that we were headed out to Bath for the weekend, he looked at me all concerned and asked, simply...

"WHY?"

Lol... I would expect that coming from someone that grew up in Rochester. There's really nothing in Bath....

sirsloop said:
I used 1oz of Chocolate Extract, 1oz Pure Vanilla Extract, and 1oz Coconut Extract in my "German Chocolate" stout, all at the end of my boil. I just bottled it tonight and it has a real nice coconut aroma. I didnt use McCormicks though. I found all natural extract in the "organic" food section in Wegmans. Worked out great and it was actually cheaper than the overpriced McCormicks stuff!!

My buddy told me about the half/half trick after using the "recommened amount" of cherry extract for a cherry wheat. It smelled like cough syrup. The next batch he added the extract as I described above with excellent results.

so at the end of the boil, do you mins before turning it off, or just as you turn the boil off?

thanks

I never add flavor until the secondary, I found the fermentation process scrubs flavor... 2oz of most extracts are plenty to give you a subtle flavor

budbo said:
I never add flavor until the secondary, I found the fermentation process scrubs flavor... 2oz of most extracts are plenty to give you a subtle flavor

hmm, so i have differing opinions...

i guess some experimentation is in order.

either the end of the boil or into the bottling bucket...:drunk: :confused:

I guess the question is probably how much of the flavor do you desire. makes sense to me that fermentation might scrub some of the flavor, where as adding the bottling bucket would not scrub much at all.

like i said i guess i will experiment.

anyone else have an opinion?

thanks

EDIT: or adding to the secondary is yet another consideration :confused:

Okay question then...I have 4oz of blueberry extract that i am going to put in the bottling bucket before i bottle. I got it from the LHBS and she said put all 4 oz. in. Is that gonna be way to overpowering...

Eric

Well, first of all, what kind of beer are you putting it into? 4 oz into a light wheat beer could be overpowering (I don't know for sure), but 4 oz into something more powerful could be subtle.

the_bird said:
Well, first of all, what kind of beer are you putting it into? 4 oz into a light wheat beer could be overpowering (I don't know for sure), but 4 oz into something more powerful could be subtle.

Sorry. It will be a hefeweizen. I am going to make a blueberry wheat.

Eric

sirsloop said:
its really a personal preference... putting it in early mellows out the flavor and aroma.

thank you again. i appreciate your input...

i think the weekend after next i will begin a second brew. something either using the McCormick extracts or a Chipolte brew of some kind...

Need to run to the LHBS and pick up another Bucket :ban:

just keep in mind, you can always add more extract in another brew if its not enough for your liking...or even some more at the secondary or bottling when you taste it. It'll still be a good hefe. If you put too much in, you may not even be able to drink the swill :)

good luck, let us know how it turns out!

I used a 'spruce extract' trying to clone a juniper beer I had. My buddies were so excited about it we made a second batch with double the spruce and named it "Spruce it Up" When it finally finished we all took a big swig and we were barely able to swallow it, it tasted like industrial cleaner. I'm not sure if anyone had good luck with spruce extracts, but after going so overboard with it I can't imagine it tasting good in any quantity.

What is the difference, other than price, between McCormick's extracts and the ones I get at my LBHS?

I used 1 oz. McCormick orange extract in a wheat beer dry hopped with 1 oz. cascade hops. it was rediculously overpowering. just my personal experience.

Hmmm. I just came across some of the McCormick Coconut Extract in my pantry and I have a English Brown Ale that I am getting ready to keg hopefully this weekend. I have been debating how much to add as well. I'm thinking about adding half an ounce, pull a sample, and see what is up. But I will probably get impatient and just dump the whole bottle in there. (1 ounce bottle). It'll taste different after its carbed anyway.

Latest posts

Back