Using Mangrove Jack's Workhorse instead of Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vamo

Reaction score
This weekend I decided to go to the LHBS and get components for a dragon stout clone. This beer is actually a lager, but since Wyeast 2112 California Lager was one of the recommended yeast for this beer I thought I might be able to maintain the temperature required in my basement this winter. Unfortunately LHBS had no 2112, but the guy working recommended Workhorse as a replacement.

Has anyone used this ale yeast in lager recipes?

If I do use it should I still keep things a tad cooler than usual? Or is the mid to high 60s my basement stays at this this time a year close enough?

I have a "helles" on tap right now made with this yeast. I cannot get any Mangrove Jack's yeast to attenuate properly, even with pure O2 and rehydration. I've stopped using it. The beer finished at 1.016, which is too high for a helles style. But it's definitely a clean yeast. If you can get it to attenuate, it'll be great. I have brewed with several other of the Mangrove Jack's yeast and the lowest I could get any of them to come down was the Bohemian Lager yeast, which I got to attenuate (ALL THE WAY DOWN) to 1.014 in an oktoberfest and a schwarzbier.

Guess I definitely need to be sure to aerate it then. So my only remaining question concerns fermentation temperature. When trying to make a lager-like ale is it best to ferment at the bottom of my yeast's range. Or will that make no diffference?

Back