Using keg as bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I have an Imperial Stout (about 11% ABV) that has been in secondary for about 3 months and I'm looking to bottle condition it further. Since I've been kegging, I don't really have a bottling bucket but I do have a Blichmann beer gun. I'm thinking I can use a keg as my bottling bucket and then the beer gun with some low pressure CO2 behind it to purge and fill bottles? I would heat my priming solution add to the keg and then transfer beer onto it just like always and probably add some fresh yeast just to be sure and then fill bottles just like I would from a carbed up keg. Seems sound enough to me any flaws in my thinking that I am missing?

I don't see any reason why you could not do it. One question; whats the reason for not carbonating in keg with CO2 and bottling after 2-3 weeks? Would it be better for long term bottle conditioning with out adding the priming sugar and having the yeast active again?

I've done this many times without any issues. I trust being able to sanitize stainless over a plastic bucket and spigot.

Latest posts

Back