Using Irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niklaas1212

Reaction score
Recently aquired some more honey to make some more batches and was thinking about picking up some Irish moss. Anyone have any tips for it or how you like to use it with the mead?

Ive never heard of irish moss with mead, its typjcally used as a fining agent in beer added in the last 10-15 min of the boil. I think gelatin would be a better means of clarifying, or sparkaloid if u got a lhbs you frequent

I was looking online and see that some of the ancient style recipes use it but from what else I saw is that, like what you said was a clarifying agent.

Yes, you can use it. Obviously you won't be able to go no-boil, but the combined boiling and Irish moss should make a crystal clear mead very quickly.

Have never used Irish moss in mead, dunno if it would help or not...does seem to help in beers of the past...I'll use pectic enzyme if there're fruits involved, but....I just leave the mead clearing to time....have never had one that didn't EVENTUALLY clear on it's own....takes time, which I'm cool with these days...

Latest posts

Back