Using Home Grown Hops For Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
I am brewing with some Chinook hops I grew this year. I have enough for the brew and for dry hopping during fermentation. Is there something I need to do with the hops that I will use in the fermenter to prevent contamination of the beer? I have never tried it but would like to if possible.
Thank you in advance.

Did you dry and freeze your green hops? Drying and freezing helps prevent critters and most bacteria from causing any issues. If you haven't done that I suggest you do. I dry mine for 16 to 24 hours then vacuum seal them before placing them in the freezer. Never had and issues as a result of this practice.

Did you dry and freeze your green hops? Drying and freezing helps prevent critters and most bacteria from causing any issues. If you haven't done that I suggest you do. I dry mine for 16 to 24 hours then vacuum seal them before placing them in the freezer. Never had and issues as a result of this practice.
Thanks for the response.
I was hoping I could pick them and use them right away without drying them out. If I can't figure out a way to do that safely, I will use your method. Since I brewed with the hops as a wet hopped beer. I was going to see if I can do the same in the fermenter without screwing up the beer.

Thanks for the response.
I was hoping I could pick them and use them right away without drying them out. If I can't figure out a way to do that safely, I will use your method. Since I brewed with the hops as a wet hopped beer. I was going to see if I can do the same in the fermenter without screwing up the beer.
You can although you risk unwanted critters tagging along for the ride. But it's worth trying. You also risk a vegetable taste as the green leaffy part of the cones still has chlorophyll that once dried imparts little to no veggie taste or smell.

Back