Using HLT or MLT as a "Whirlpool Tank" Post Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stankonia

Reaction score
Has anyone here experimented with using their HLT or MLT as a whirlpool vessel after the boil is over?

I have a 3-keggle set up, and currently just cool in my BK..but I was thinking about the possibility of pumping the wort from my BK to either my HLT or MTL (doesn't matter which) creating a whirlpool, and having my IC in there.

It seems like cooling times would be somewhat quicker, and it would be a good way to get a whirlpool going. Also, would add another element of utilize late hopping.

My only concern is, would I have to worry about sanitizing the whirlpool vessel if the wort was below boiling by the time it got in there, but still around 190-200*??

Why not just set up your BK with a whirlpool system?

If you were to pump out to your MLT, you would have to clean the grains and remove the false bottom first. If you pump to the HLT, you would have one more vessel to clean. Also, I would be wary of using the MLT due to the bacteria, mold, etc. brought in from the grain.

To answer your question; if you were to pump to another vessel at less than boiling temps, I would sanitize that vessel.

Agreed, why not just make the BK compatible with whirlpooling. I don't see any additional benefit by pumping it over, and you have another possible source of contamination/another vessel to clean or re-clean. Pros only do it because they are pushing their system to max capacity, and typically whirlpool for a long time (30 mins+), so they need to free up the BK for the next batch.

Back