Using heating element for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
I'm building a 2 burner brewstand and will either be using a cooler or a keg for the MLT, my question is, can I use a 110 v heating element to keep the mash at temperature after heating strike water on a burner.
I know I can't put the element right in the MLT, will a rims tube work for this?
If anyone knows a thread where this has already been discussed please leave the link.

Thsnks

Typically, people that use coolers do not put heating elements in them or recirculate, although it can be done. The static mash temp will drop some but it still works fine. If you want absolute temp control (give or take a degree or two), consider a SS mash tun with either some form of recirculating wort or direct heating method. Another option would be a BIAB (brew in a bag) scenario.

For the price of a igloo, you can probably find a keg to cut up, locally on a for sale forum.

I already have the extra keg I would need, that's why I'm thinking of trying to keep the mash at temp with a heating element, I can also get the heating element for free. I have 1 March pump as well. I basically have everything I need, I've been brewing all grain for a long time, just finally getting a real brew stand built.

The cooler might be my vest option though I'm trying to keep things simple

Only problem for me is the 10 gallon igloo coolers here in Canada are almost 100$
Seems like money better spent on something else

I don't see much different in using an igloo or a keg if you are doing a RIMS or direct heating. Same plumbing, just a different tun. I would go with metal.

Ouch, $100?

Back