Using hardiePanel in your DIY homebrewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northcal

Reaction score
Hey all,

I built a small shed for my home brewing this year. Getting it finished on the inside now. I will be sheet rocking it soon, but I'm thinking about installing hardiePanel on the wall behind the brew structure-just from the concrete floor up four feet. I'll be using Electric for the HLT, but still rock the propane for the two boil kettles (for now). The burners will be about 8" from the back inside wall, so I'm thinking flame-resistance and of course water/wort resistance.

Anybody use the hardiepanel indoors? I know it's tough to cut and weighs a ton, but it's also pretty impervious to water, I think? I can get one panel in with no cuts, and the other with one electric box cut out and a 4' cut to fit the wall. So the install isn't too bad.

I picked up two pre-primed 4x8' smooth surface sheets today from the lumber yard. Kinda spendy stuff, but I understand it takes paint well, can't rot, and should be flame proof?

Here is the product: http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/products_siding_hardiepanelSiding.py?search_zipcode=retail

Let me know if you have any insights!

Thanks,

When we built our house in the Sierra foothills 15 years ago the flame resistant aspect of hardiplank siding was a big selling point. Have not had to test it, so far. I will say that the paint durability and weather resistance have been impressive. I suspect you'll be happy with your intended application.

Why not just tile it??

null_zpsb1b52743.jpg

Are you thinking of spraying down your setup? Anyway, Hardipanel is quality material. What are you worried about? As long as you install it properly, that stuff is bomb-proof.

You should look at FRP. It is used on the walls of most restaurant kitchens. Just glue to green sheetrock. Available at Home Depot.

jh, I actually used those FRP panels at my last house in back of the brew structure (I bought them from HD as well!) Easy to clean and easy to install over sheetrock. But, I don't think I have enough clearance from the flames in the new place to prevent it from scorching/melting? Maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks,

You should look at FRP. It is used on the walls of most restaurant kitchens. Just glue to green sheetrock. Available at Home Depot.

For heat issues, just install a heat shield in between the two. It could literally be as simple as an aluminum foil sheet 2" from the wall. The important thing is to direct the hot air and infrared radiation away from the wall. Presto! No scorching :).

northcal said:
Thanks, dert? I think I know what to stay away from now! That stuff looks pretty hard to keep clean in a brewery setting, although it does look sweet for other applications:

Best,

I don't spill much on my back wall... so no cleaning needed.

I do have FRP behind mine, over Sheetrock. I used to use propane on all the vessels, prior to my electric conversion. I have exactly 17" of clearance between the edge of my burner and the FRP. Never an issue with heat or melting...

null_zps031485c4.jpg

null_zps16b98995.jpg

null_zpsfce698dd.jpg

How far away are your burners?

That being said, I think hardie is fine, might not want to paint it though (due to the heat).

Just wait till your elec setup is done then paint?

Ive installed hardie plank on a house.Seems overkill for the inside of a shed.Couldnt you use durarock used for bathrooms,still concrete and a lot less money.Or fireproof sheetrock?

Sorry, I realize that my reply sounded kind of dismissive. That's not the tone I really meant.

HardiePanel is a composite of cement and wood. It's very, very durable. It's not at all flammable. I also don't know that it would be recommended for this type of installation. I bet it heats up quite a bit - if you leave it out in the sun, it can get quite warm to the touch.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Since I have the two panels, I guess I'll put them up then. Maybe use a heat shield as well if they get too warm.

Thanks,

I've heard you can use a dremel tool with cut off blades from eBay to whack the tops off kegs.

I think they sell them by the gross, if your time isn't important...

null_zps48f5ef37.jpg

I've put up plenty of HardiePlank and a little HardiPanel but I wouldn't recommend it for an interior brew-house application. I'd be giving more serious thought to using one of the fiber-cement tile backer boards like HardiBacker. It would be reasonably heat resistant and obviously a good substrate for tile if you ever get ambitious. You'll went to get the special screws for applying it to the wall and it will be easier to drive them with an impact driver. You could probably finish the edges with J bead for drywall.

Dert said:
I've heard you can use a dremel tool with cut off blades from eBay to whack the tops off kegs. I think they sell them by the gross, if your time isn't important...

Huh? I think someone replied to the wrong thread

Hardie panel is a great product. I would do exactly what you are describing if I were you. I've taken a torch to it just as an experiment, and it is virtually flame-proof.
I use it behind my single tier set up with no problems what so ever.

I ended up just using an angle grinder to open up my mash tun sanke. Lots less money than the dremel blades, I think? But thanks for the ideas! Haha,

I've heard you can use a dremel tool with cut off blades from eBay to whack the tops off kegs.

I think they sell them by the gross, if your time isn't important...

null_zps48f5ef37.jpg

Thanks for the info, acid! Did you paint it or otherwise cover it? Not sure how I'll finish it off?

I'm going to proceed with the install. With the day off today, I got a little bit of work done on the brew shed by installing a 4 x 8 piece of sheetrock on the ceiling. Only going to get easier then I can brew again!

Best,

Hardie panel is a great product. I would do exactly what you are describing if I were you. I've taken a torch to it just as an experiment, and it is virtually flame-proof.
I use it behind my single tier set up with no problems what so ever.

I second hardibacker. I use pieces of it for a flame barrier when I sweat copper. I hit it with a direct torch for a minute of so and it does not ignite.

No pics buy I had a buddy come over for a few hours today and we got lots of rock put on the ceiling and upper walls. Cutting out around the outlets was a PITA, but I guess that's why they make oversize cover plates LOL. I'll try to get some pics later today.

I got most of the sheet rock installed. I ended up only using one of the hardie panels because that stuff is so heavy! I put it right behind where the brew structure will be. That trench in the concrete floor is where I'll build the structure. It drains into a pit where I'll have a little pump:

hardieA.jpg

I ended up busting a window when a 2x4 support fell when rocking the ceiling. :(

windowA.jpg

Not sure what I'll do behind the area where the sink will go, maybe rock on top and another chunk of hardie by the floor? That stuff is hard to cut though.

wallA.jpg

Nice, I like the trench... More people should consider drainage...

Forgot to say, I installed a piece of "Z flashing" in between the sheetrock and the hardiepanel. It should direct any liquid from above to get down into the trench, and not rot the 2x6 framing.

But yeah, having good drainage is good while brewing, Dert! I have had some boil overs due to guests not watching the tun (and a few while brewing solo), and washing it all down the drain is the EZ way to go.

More updates when I get stuff done.

Later,

That z was a good idea, did you put any plastic sheeting or tar paper above that seam behind the rock?

Perhaps a little silicone?

Back