Using growlers for 2nd fermentation?`

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulseballer

Reaction score
So this is my first post/thread here and I just want to say like alot of people here I started from a Mr. Beer Kit and my Uncle. He always used to brew beer and wine etc. I will be brewing my first batch (after my Mr. Beer Kit) when I get some start up money and will be producing about 23 liters of beer. Excuse me because I'm still learning the terms etc. with home brewing and what not. When the beer is ready to be bottled I plan on using growlers with added sugar for further fermentation. How long can I expect the beer to last using growlers without them being opened until they will be consumed?

Thanks in advance. Also I'm no noob when it comes to forums and I used the search button but couldn't find any real answers.

so after using growler as search option i've found some hits....most say a growler won't hold the pressure during carbonation but I highly doubt this. Has anyone actually confirmed this?

you could just normally carbonate your beer in the growler (1/2 gallon, gallon, 2 liter, one liter, etc) just bottle from a bucket with the right amount of priming sugar (mr malty) and most will hold carbonation. what do you mean by secondary fermentation? If you are adding a large amount of sugar post-fermentation start, typically you'd do it when the first krausen drops (3-4 ish days after initial pitch) then bottle with +/- 4 oz corn sugar.

Back