Using fudge as an ingredient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celtic_dude

Reaction score
So I am always thinking lately about different types of ingredients that I could use to brew beer with and found this delicious pumpkin fudge that I thought would be great to use in a imperial pumpkin stout.

Any thoughts?

Would either use in the BK, primary or secondary.

Is it soluable? Do you really want to ferment milkfat, if it is even possible? Personally, I think it will be rank, and likely for failure. But, obviously, I have never tried, and tend to be conservative, so YMMV.

Why dont you break down and analyze the flavors you like from the fudge, and get them through regular beer ingredients? Is it the pumpkin? Use pumpkin. Is a toffee like sweetness? Use english medium crystal. Is it creaminess? Add oats or other malts for mouthfeel. Is it the milk flavor? Add lactose. Is there spices? Identify them and use those. I think thats a far safer approach.

You might need to break down the fudge a bit in some way before using it, at the very least some dicing would be in order; possibly a soak in vodka to help break it down as well. I'd say it would also need to be a secondary addition. I have no idea exactly how any of this would turn out, either, a lot of fudge is fat but there's also a lot of sugar and chocolate in there. At best, you'll get a lactic taste not unlike a milk stout plus some chocolate flavor, at worst it will turn into something positively nasty from all the fat content.

I think you want to do what giraffe said: break a fudge recipe into it's component parts and make substitutions for things like cream or half-and-half.

I tried this in making a Thai tea beer with some limited success. But I have a good idea for my next attempt at it.

Back