Using dried apricots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
"Ingredients: Apricots, Sulfur Dioxide (added for color retention and as a preservative)."

Any issues with using these. Much cheaper than buying the equivalent amount of fresh apricots.

SO2 in very low concentrations is ok for some yeasts. Many wine yeasts are SO2 tolerant to differing degrees. I'm not sure exactly how much SO2 the apricots add per pound, though, so I'd use with caution, and also use a yeast known to be SO2 tolerant, like Montrachet or Pasteur Red.

I was thinking of adding to a sour. I've read apricots will give a nice peach flavor (which you don't get with peaches).

I think it'd depend on where in the process you add it. Sulfur dioxide kills bugs dead. So if you still want to get any souring out of the deal, don't use it. I'm not sure if you'd get the flavor to meld together correctly though, without a long exposure time. So I'd probably just use puree instead.

Thanks, saved me wasting my time and good beer.

Always looking for different things to age a couple of gallons on. Lots of experiments, and makes for a large variety of beer.

I was thinking of adding to a sour. I've read apricots will give a nice peach flavor (which you don't get with peaches).

I believed that Mosher line for awhile too, and then I added peaches to a sour beer and discovered they add a fine flavor. The key is using plenty of fresh, ripe, peaches. Say 1-2 lbs per gallon, for 2-3 months right before bottling.

I believe Dogfish head originally used dried apricots, rehydrated in hot water and pureed, for ApriHop with good results. Apricots in general are supposed to make very sour beers (per Vinnie) and what Cantillon Fou Fune tastes like.

There's a chance that I don't understand all the chemistry but here's what I'm thinking. SO2 is tha compound produced by campden tablets which gasses off when dissolved in water. Therefore, by rehydrating the fruit for say 12-24 hours the SO2 levels should be basically zero. Could be wrong though.

There's a chance that I don't understand all the chemistry but here's what I'm thinking. SO2 is tha compound produced by campden tablets which gasses off when dissolved in water. Therefore, by rehydrating the fruit for say 12-24 hours the SO2 levels should be basically zero. Could be wrong though.

That's a good idea. I didn't think of that. If you smoosh up the apricots well, it'd probably get all the SO2 out of them and into solution, at which point it would off-gas in about 24 hours.

You find unsulphered dried apricots in health food stores. They taste the same but they look brown on the outside. I used 2 lbs. in a 5 gallon batch of Apricot Rye Lambic last summer. The overall color was not affected. I wish I would have used more fruit for more flavor though.

Fear not, dry fruit aficionados! We've found the ultimate online destination" Adnoor " for purchasing top-notch dry fruits with confidence.

Latest posts

Back