Using double boiler to sanitize fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I'm going to be adding 4 pounds of strawberries to my fermenting beer. To sanitize I may try to pasteurize them in a double boiler. I'll mash them up, put them in the double boiler and heat to 160°F for 30 seconds. Has anyone done this?

In complete honesty, I didn't know you had to sanitize fruit. I have added fresh blackberries and strawberries to a couple of beers and had no issues. even soaked in sugar in open air and the fridge. That being said, I have only been brewing for a year or so and have made my fair share of mistakes.

You can sanitize fruit but you run the risk of setting the pectin which will contribute to chill haze in the beer. I normally just add fruit after primary fermentation is complete so I don't worry too much about infection then.

I did it a little differently. I washed the berries then put them in the food processor. I added a little boiled water to make them a little runny. I put that into a pot and heated them to 160°F for 60 seconds to pasteurize everything. Let them chill and added them to my FV. I probably should have waited another day or two. Fermentation took off like crazy and clogged the keg I was purging. In hindsight I should have taken the poppet out of the post first. I tasted it the next day and it was perfect. I'm making a sort of clone of Tired Hands Strawberry Milkshake IPA. I had a can about a year ago and loved it. Going off memory, this tastes pretty close.

Latest posts

Back