Using dishwasher to drain sanitized bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuhammer14

Reaction score
Question... I'm bottling tomorrow and I am wondering if I can use my dishwasher as a bottling rack to store sanitized bottles as I fill them. I'd run the dishwasher empty tonight then sanitize the bottles with my vinator and put them upside down over the spokes with the spokes inside the bottles. Do I need to be worried about infections from the small amount of contact the dishwasher has inside the bottles?

If the rack is clean and sanitized, you will have no problems.

Why not just use the dishwasher to sanitize your bottles and don't worry with the hassle that is chemical sanitizers.

Why not just use the dishwasher to sanitize your bottles and don't worry with the hassle that is chemical sanitizers.

Either will work, but since you asked (sort of)... You would be trading a little food-safe chemical for a significant amount of water, energy, and wastewater. I choose chemical, since I will need it for other things anyway.

Also, don't expect the dishwasher to actually clean your bottles. Very little of the water finds its way into the bottles.

Back