Using Crystal 60 instead of 40 or 80.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gswartley

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking at the recipes I would like to brew soon and was wondering if I could use Crystal 60 and not 40 or 80.

Of course I would need to adjust the amounts a little.

I'm thinking 1 lb of 40 = 2/3 lb of 60
and 1 lb of 80 = 1 1/3lb of 60

Any thoughts.

IMO, you could use 60 interchangeably for either 40 or 80 without adding more or less.

Agree, I would keep the amounts the same. The flavor will be a little different, but I assume you're OK with that. There's no way really to match the flavor characteristics by manipulating amounts like that.

Yeah keep the amounts the same as in the original recipe. The flavor will be virtually identical to anyone with a non-BJCP-level palette I imagine.

Agree, I would keep the amounts the same. The flavor will be a little different, but I assume you're OK with that. There's no way really to match the flavor characteristics by manipulating amounts like that.

Agree, Just use the same amount and live with the slight flavor difference. They each are different and using a different amount will not replicate the same flavor. Since they are usually used in small amounts the flavor difference is minimal.

usfmikeb said:
IMO, you could use 60 interchangeably for either 40 or 80 without adding more or less.

Agreed. I use 12 oz of crystal 60 in my haus pale ale

The 60 in Crystal 60, Crystal 40, Crystal 80 refers to the SRM, so 60 contributes a very different color than 40 or 80, but the malt character is going to be pretty much the same.

As long as you aren't entering a contest or something like that, and don't care about coloring to style, you are good subbing 60 for 40 and/or 80.

Back