Using corn or rice- boil times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Making some American style lagers which use rice or corn as adjuncts. Do these contribute any dms potential that would require me to push boil to 90 minutes?

I'd definitely stick with rice, rather than come.

My understanding is that pilsner malt is the main reason many lagers get a 90 minute boil. The adjuncts shouldn't factor in.

I don't know if you increase the chance of DMS by using corn. I know DMS is supposed to give a cooked corn flavor, but that doesn't necessarily mean that adding corn is going to contribute DMS to the beer. (Although one might think that the flavor may be similar.)

I know that in general when I drink light lagers (rarely) I tend to prefer corn based beers, rather than rice based. But my experiments at home tend to favor rice based homebrew.

In any event, the general wisdom is to boil a pilsner malt beer for 90 minutes to reduce the chance of DMS. I guess one could argue that possibly only a supertaster coudl tell the difference based on a few experiments.

Right I am going to go with two row but was reading a recipe from Jamil Z and it mentions a 90 minute boil to reduce dms even though it's two row.

Right I am going to go with two row but was reading a recipe from Jamil Z and it mentions a 90 minute boil to reduce dms even though it's two row.

I'm pretty sure Jamil recommends a 90 minute boil on ALL recipes, even ones without any notorious DMS producers.

I will often do a 90 minute mash with an adjunct-laded grist, partly because it may take a while to fully convert the rice/corn/oats, but also because I tend to mash light lagers and cream ales at 148-149 so I want to ensure full conversion. But I almost never do a 90 minute boil, just a vigorous 60 minute boil.

Cheers. That's usually where I come out on it. But the mention of dms gave me a case of the yips

Latest posts

Back