Using conan year for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uphillbrewer

Reaction score
Anyone ever do this? I've get fresh cider and a big Conan starter. Thought it could be interesting but figured I'd check before committing to it.

WilliamSlayer said:
Not familiar with that yeast.... What's it normally used with?
It's the proprietary yeast strain that that is used in Heady Topper, by the Alchemist. Really neat, hazy yeast. I spun it up from 3 cans.

Bottled a Conan cider 3 weeks ago (just Trader Joe's gravenstein juice and the yeast). It's still young, but the taste is really unique, a mix of apple and tangerine flavor. It's almost like a tropical fruit punch, I like it.

Bottled a Conan cider 3 weeks ago (just Trader Joe's gravenstein juice and the yeast). It's still young, but the taste is really unique, a mix of apple and tangerine flavor. It's almost like a tropical fruit punch, I like it.

How much of that co you think comes from the yeast? I'm not familiar with the taste of "gravenstein" apples...

I did a cider with Conan, I didn't notice too much flavor from the yeast, mostly just a clean and dry cider for me. I think Conan really plays well with hops and beer, but like I said I didn't get any peachy or fruity type flavors in the cider like i do in my beers but that may just be my specific case

Used the East Coast Yeast version of Conan for a batch of Poverty Lane Cider. Did not clear very well yet, might be the juice. Its in secondary will try to remember to post some notes once it is done.

How much of that co you think comes from the yeast? I'm not familiar with the taste of "gravenstein" apples...

Gravensteins make good cider, IMO.

As for how much character comes from the yeast, I'd say a lot. I actually did three batches with the same juice using Conan, 1118 & 1122. Some friends and I did a side by side by side tasting of all three the other day. All three were different, especially the one with Conan.

I also ended up adding pectin enzyme after fermentation, since I didn't have any on hand when I made them. The juice was unfiltered and very cloudy to start. The 1122 and 1118 both cleared very well, the Conan didn't clear at all.

Interesting. I suspected aas much. Yeast is a MUCH bigger part of the equation than most people think!

I'll look to taste/try those gravenstein apples next year. Thanks!

Back