using cling wrap instead of an air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that some people don't use the lid of their brewing container. They remove the lid and put cling wrap (glad wrap) over the container and hold it in place with the seal from under the lid.
Has anyone done this?
Any tips or suggestions?

I've heard of people using foil as well. I can't imagine it really matters much what you cover it with as long as it is sanitized and the CO2 has a way to escape.

Some do that, some use tinfol, some put a piece of plexiglass on top of it. There's rerally no "tips" to doing it, just make sure it is sanitized.
+1 to sanitizing whatever you use!

I am working on some smaller "experimental" batches using 1 gal and 1/2 gal jugs. Came up short 1 bung/airlock so for that one reaming jug, I used a small glass "spice dish" that the wife uses. Sanitized it and put it over the opening upside down.

I've used plastic wrap on several batches during primary fermentation, because I often stick a K-type wire probe in the fermenter that I connect to my thermometer to closely monitor fermentation temperatures. I usually put the plastic wrap on and then secure it with either a very large rubber band or bungie cord around the top of the bucket (if I'm using a bucket), or I loosely place the lid on top to keep things from moving around accidentally.

For what it's worth, I have never experienced an infection using this technique. I try to practice good sanitation procedures, and make sure that anything that touches the beer has been sanitized.

After a week or two I put on the lid & airlock and don't worry as much about temperature control.

on small batches (gallon or 1/2 gallon) a balloon can also work, just make sure to let the air out.

One thing you can do is place plastic cling wrap over the top and hold it in place with a rubber band so it's taut, then take a small sewing needle or push-pin and poke a little hole in the top. That will let out the CO2 without building up too much pressure, and keep most of the nasties. I do that sometimes for starters and yeast harvesting, but not for fermenting. It will work for fermenting but I'm pretty clumsy, and fairly certain that I'd drop something on the plastic wrap causing it to invert and drop into the wort, or mistakenly dislodge it somehow. Air locks seem to be a little more forgiving to me in that respect.

Thankyou for your feedback everyone.

Given your comments I will use cling wrap, but I don't intend to put any holes in it. I think that will risk infection.

Why not use a lid? That's what they are for.

I have been using my lid. Unfortunately, the kit fell out of the brewing fridge last batch and landed on the air lock. This smashed the air lock and also punched a hole in the lid around the air lock. I'm sure a new lid would cost 1/2 the cost of a complete kit. Spare parts are always dear as poison.

Back