Using Barrel Staves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So, I have read a bit on using barrel staves in beer and from I could see on this forum most are warned against using the staves. If I remember correctly, it was said that the wood provided too much oak character and not enough whiskey/bourbon.

I am currently undertaking this little project and wanted to know peoples thoughts. I ordered 3 barrel staves from a 55gal Jim Beam barrel. I took the widest one (about 3.5-4in in width) cut it into 4 pieces, and then...took my propane blow torch and charred each side of the wood pieces until they started to glow but did not catch fire. Those pieces are now comfortably sitting in a shallow covered bowl filled to the brim with Jim Beam.

In my mind this could accomplish two things, 1, increase the depth of flavor of the char and give more "barrel" character than oak by increasing the "charred surface area" . The charring removes any undesirables (dirt, ink, etc) from the non-charred surface. and 2, soaking them in the Jim Beam will rehydrate the wood a bit, taking on more of a "fresh barrel" character, and the whiskey will soak in and kill any bugs living in the staves.

I am tempted to give them a second light char to caramelize some of the whiskey to the wood. Then I will just drop these chunks into my fermentation bucket and let it sit.

I plan to calculate the surface area of each stave piece I added and compare it to the surface area of a traditional 5 gal barrel to determine how long I should let it sit.

I currently just have the staves sitting in the whiskey so worst case I can always pull the plug on the plan. But I was wanting to see what everyone thought of this idea and let me know if there are any serious pitfalls I am missing in my over-excitement to get this thing started.

As always, thanks!

I only wonder about the caution of not using barrel staves because of to much resulting oak flavor. Flavor from an addition is time dependent. You seem to have a solid approach to experimenting with the addition. I might suggest splitting your volume. One part of the volume before scorching after the Jim Beam soaked stave and the remainder of your wort after scorching the Jim Beam soaked stave. Taste the beer every three to five days to determine when each may be ready for the bottle.

So, I ended up not doing a secondary charring after the whiskey soak. After chatting it over with some friends we decided that the effects of igniting the ethanol present in these soaked staves is too unpredictable and we wouldn't have a clue as to what could happen to the flavor. So, I simply pitched the staves into the secondary, I did this yesterday. I will take some samples over the following days and update the post.

What were your findings with this?

What type of beer were you putting these into ? Cheers

Back