Using Anchor Hocking Jar for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased two 2.5 gallon Anchor Hocking Glass Jars to use for small batches.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M9NMJA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The lid does not seal air tight so that is the reason for my post. I figure I have two options.

1. Do nothing to the lid and it will function like a Mr. Beer barrel allowing the CO2 to escape since it does not seal.

2. Find a gasket that would fit the lid (approximately 4.75" diameter). Then drill a hole in the lid and use a small stopper and airlock.

Anyone out there use these jars? What have you done?

Any suggestions of where to look for gaskets. I plan to hit some hardware stores and possibly pool stores looking for gaskets.

IMG_3524.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Air tight seal is not that critical unless you care about watching the airlock activity.
3 gallon and 5 gallon food grade buckets are another option for small batch fermentors.

I'd probably not worry about the air tight seal. When I was doing 1 gallon batches I would sometimes just use sanitized foil and a rubber band rather than an airlock.

I would, however, worry about the lid rusting. I'm guessing that is a steel lid and it will have condensation on it. Hope it works out. Good luck.

Those are pretty cool lookin. Any reason you bought those instead of 2.5 gallon buckets for a fraction of the price?

I like glass! Seems like glass is easier to clean. I also do meads and spiced things like ciders which tend to stink up my plastic buckets. I like the idea of being able to see the fermentation and seeing the trub when it is time to siphon. I have Amazon Prime so I did not have to worry about shipping. I did see jars like this at World Market for $19.99 after I ordered these.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would just buy a sheet of rubber gasket material and cut it to the diameter of the cover. This will keep the aluminum cover dry and give you an air tight seal. Watching airlock activity is one of the best parts.

I like glass as well, I'm leery about using plastic buckets, even tho a lot of people like to use them - they are FDA Approved/food grade, after all - BUT, the FDA also told us in the '40s and '50s that aluminum cookware was fine for cooking ..... Now we know that the older aluminum cookware has been linked to causing alzheimers! :mad: Hey look, 40 years from now will you younger folks find out that the toxins that are leached from the food-grade plastic is causing some other disease yet to be named :mad: ??

I'd find the gasket material and make a gasket for your glass jug, I will be buying one or two of these as well ;)

Just my 2 centavos ...........

Could not find a pre-made gasket. The hardware store did have a sheet of gasket material. Bought and tried it. The material is too thick that the lid does not screw on. Just planning to use it like a Mr. Beer since the lid does not seal completely. Hope to give it a try this week.

I have used it twice. The first as a secondary vessel for a Kumquat Wheat Ale.

I'm currently fermenting a Belgian IPA.

Both batches were 2 gallons. Having no issues just screwing the lid on and having it vent like a mister beer fermenter.

IMG_3567.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

I do 2 1/2 gal. batches. My primary is a 5 gallon Coleman water cooler and the secondary is one of those PET jugs shown. I use plastic dry cleaner bag held in place with a rubber band on both of them. There is enough slack that day/night, hot/cold temp changes don't let air in or out. Seems to work great. Sitting right by a brown ale as we speak. (Smells great!).

I bought one of those 2.5 gallon jugs .... go to Costco and buy a plastic jug filled with Organic animal cookies - (Blue plastic lid and about $10.00 per jug of cookies) .... bring it home, swap the aluminum lid with the plastic one (which fits tightly) give the organic cookies to the kids (or the Grandkids in my case - keeps 'em out of your hair for at least a couple of weeks), or the neighbor's kids ..... drill a 9/16" hole in the Blue lid and install an airlock grommet ($.39 from my LHBS) and you're golden! One note .... don't be too aggressive with the drill, the Blue lid will crack if too much pressure is applied, (support it with some scrap wood) or if a wood bit is used - - - use a metal bit! (Voice of experience two jugs of animal crackers later! :eek: :eek:)

Back