Using aluminum "starter kettle" on outdoor propane burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleC223

Reaction score
It took almost three years, but my wife is finally "nudging" my brewing operation out of the kitchen.

I have been brewing BIAB with a 5-gallon aluminum kettle on an electric stove for over a year, making due with paint strainer bags and patience for water to heat. I've had success with that setup, but I'm curious if my current equipment is compatible with my Bayou Classic burner. Is there any risk of damaging my kettle by exposing it to direct flame from the burner?

My burner is nothing fancy, and I've only ever used it in the past for boiled peanuts (in another 10-gallon aluminum kettle). I believe it's a lower-end single burner, probably on the cheaper end of what Bayou Classic makes. I got my kettle in a NB starter kit, so I know it's not of very high quality. I wouldn't want to scorch it beyond repair.

I used a 8 gallon aluminum kettle from Update International for my first 5 years with now problems. You likely could use the same 10-gal aluminum for boiled peanuts. If it smells like peanuts still, give it a quick scrub with bar keepers friend then fill it full with water and boil it to create a passive oxide layer. After that you'd be good to go for brewing.

Scorching would happen if the burner is running rich (making soot) or if you spill sweet wort down the side of the pot (it happens). Even if it is scorched, it should not hurt the usefulness of the pot.

The kettle I got in the NB starter kit is a thin stainless steel I believe. The only problem I have using it on the outdoor burner is keeping the boil under control. Never harmed the pot. I've since upgraded the kettle to a 10 gallon stainless with a thick plate on the bottom that helps distribute heat much better.

As long as there's water/wort in the kettle, heat will not cause damage because it won't ever exceed boiling point.

I use a SQ14 model Bayou Classic for 5 gal batches.

My first propane burner was a Bayou Classic SQ14. I had no trouble bringing 8 gallons of wort to a boil. It's a very good burner. Set the air mixture adjustment and you should be good to go.

No issues using that pot. I used one for several batches while I was transitioning to AG. Each brew, I got a little more "tint" in the bottom of my kettle, but it didn't seem to effect flavor or taste.

It may not need to be said, but I'd recommend not using the BIAB while the flame is on. I am not a BIAB guy, but I've read/heard some horror stories. Evidently, the flame is very different that electric heat when it comes to using the bag while heat is applied.

I started outdoor brewing with a fairly cheap burner and aluminum kettle. IT served me well for a large number of brews, though at 8 gallons it was barely big enough for a 5.5 gallon batch that I target. Even an extra couple quarts helped immensely, and 10 gallons even more so.
I moved over to electric brewing (induction burner) but I still use the burner and pot occasionally for other things.

Back