Using a Rftmtr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWE

All Grain supports the Brain
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when using a Refractometer you do NOT have to adjust for heat. That's the whole point of one because it uses light instead of density. Right??

Yes, but, the temp of the refractometer does matter. It's meant to be used at around 70F (I think), so if you're using it cold outside for example, it will be off.

The automatic temperature correcting (ATC) refractometers will only correct for ambient temperature, not the temperature of the sample itself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Within a couple minutes a mash sample is good for reading. You will notice that the reading increases slightly as the sample cools. It doesn't take too long for a couple drops of sample to reach ambient temp.

Lol, just an abreviation. Didn't even notice it was only the vowels. And yes I've seen that link. Honestly thought it would have been a link to help out.

I'm with mason. Spell it.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back