Using a metal coin in auto siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwaybrewer

Reaction score
This has to be an intriguing title.

My auto siphon is broken because the little loose thing that prevent the beer from getting out once siphoned up into the pipe has fallen out and is missing.

I found that using a sterilized coin with or without tape around it works as a replacement.

If it is sufficiently sterilized, will this work without contaminating or leaving metallic flavours in the beer?

Will only use this until next paycheck arrives, then i will buy a new one.

I would wait for next paycheck. I've seen the reports of what is on paper money....I don't even want to think about where my change has been. Sterilized/Sanitized or not. I'd wait.....

Ok! But it has been in chlorine for a day and will be star sanned thoughoughly before use. Its just that my beers been in primary for so long, and paycheck is in 23 days..

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd go for it. I use coins to block off the gas side of my sanke tap all the time. Just clean it very well first then sanitize it.

+1 on boiling. Bleach is effective for killing germs, but you also want to get a good scrub and loosen up 'dirt'. If you tested it with water and it worked, I would go for it.

Scrub the coin with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip and then sanitize it. Hopefully it's a nickel or a penny cause coins that have the jagged edge are a pain to clean.

Back