using 3 gallon Carboys as primary and secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtroxel

Reaction score
Just to check my sanity.

I have a 5 gallon Pale in my primary right now.

I plan on dry hopping.

Can I split that into two 2.5 gallon batches (in 3 gallon carboys) to experiment with two different types of hops?

--

also

--

I do a full boil when I brew. Can I split the initial batch into the two 3 gallon carboys for primary as well? To try different yeast strains etc?

might want to place a blow off on the carboy because of lack of head space . or some fermcap to keep the krausen from blowing off. and be sure to be careful when movving the bucket, there is a lot of head space that could cause oxidation if splashed...even though there is a bunch of co2 in there you still want to be cautious

might want to place a blow off on the carboy because of lack of head space . or some fermcap to keep the krausen from blowing off. and be sure to be careful when movving the bucket, there is a lot of head space that could cause oxidation if splashed...even though there is a bunch of co2 in there you still want to be cautious

Im sorry - I dont understand the moving the bucket?

I started brewing 2.5 gallon batches, instead of the 10-15 I was doing, so I could brew more often and different styles. I bought 3 gallon better bottles and some fermentations did well but others foamed up too much. so it'll depend on the yeast strain and if you use fermcap or what ever. I eventually went to 3 gallon batches in my 5 gallon better bottles instead and now dry hop in the 3 gal BB I bought. this works out really well as there is plenty of space for Krausen and no head space when I transfer it into the 3 gal to dry hop. if you use a foam control you should be fine.

I can split a 5 gallon boil into two separate carboys and not have issues? Other than foaming if not done correctly.

I have two 5 gallon glass carboys, 1 6.5 better bottle, and 2 3 gallon better bottles.

So brew up the 5 gallons. Split into the 5 gallons for Primary (2.5 each). Dry hop in the 3 gallons.

When I want to do the primary as a full batch - I can use the 6 gallon and dry hop in the 5 or split it up in the 3.

sane?

I can split a 5 gallon boil into two separate carboys and not have issues? Other than foaming if not done correctly.

I have two 5 gallon glass carboys, 1 6.5 better bottle, and 2 3 gallon better bottles.

So brew up the 5 gallons. Split into the 5 gallons for Primary (2.5 each). Dry hop in the 3 gallons.

When I want to do the primary as a full batch - I can use the 6 gallon and dry hop in the 5 or split it up in the 3.

sane?

yup. could you do a 6 gallon batch and split it into the two 5s and then dry hop in the 3s. 6 is just better because you'd have more beer:rockin:

I'm with you on the more beer issue, but I'm currently bartering away my 6.5 gallon and going to threes because my body is not as impressed with picking up and moving approximately sixty pounds of beer and glass as it used to be.

This a great idea for trying to get a feel for hops characteristics, yeast profiles, and the effects of secondary flavor additions. In effect, you are doubling your brewing power. I like the idea of being able to compare two brews, side-by-side, that differ in only one respect. Sanity is well in check, and I hear of people doing this all the time. I imagine it will really benefit your recipe formulation.

Back