Using 2000W Hot Plate to Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramgeva

Reaction score
Hi All
I was wondering if I can use a 2000W hot plate for my homebrew, the concern of course is a rolling Boil, do you think it is possible and if yes for what batch size?
Also what about the portable Heating Elements they sell on eBay are they any good?
10x

2000W is can be converted to 6824 BTU/h.
It takes 1,178.6 BTUs to bring 1 gallon of water from 70° to 212° in one hour.
so by dividing 6824/1179 you get 5.8

This means that it will take you 1 hour just to get 5.8 gallons to a boil this is also considering that you have no heat loss or other efficiency losses (never the case)

Also another way to look at this is that if wanted to boil 1 gallon of water so 1179/6824 is .17 or 10 minutes so (wild ass guess) for losses add about 15 minutes for every gallon to the time just to bring water up to a boil. But we are not talking about water here but wort. I have not looked this up but I think from experience and kind of back of the napkin calculations we can probably say that it will take you 15-20 minutes for each gallon of wort to come to a boil. Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot, yes that is very helpful, also the boil will start from the mash temp so it also can shorten it a little, I guess I can do only small batches with this hot plate (I guess no more than 3 Gal), I think I can leave with that for now.
Thanks again

You could put two 2000w plates on top of each other for a total of 4000w!
Joking of course.

In all seriousness though, like stated above, that is without heat loss and efficiency issues. Even with 3G batches I think your going to be disappointed in the time it takes. I could be wrong so please let us know how well it works!

The induction I think will not work with Aluminum pots (that is what I have), also how come induction is more efficient than a burner with more BTU's? I guess comb of hot plate and steak will be pretty good.
Will update with the results.
Thanks All

ramgeva said:
To be honest, for a split second I really gave it a tought lol!!:)

Haha, glad a thought was all you gave it! I bet even with all the dumb disclaimers they put on things now that they've never thought of putting that one on there! Do you already have a 2000w hot plate? Or just thinking about it?

Haha, glad a thought was all you gave it! I bet even with all the dumb disclaimers they put on things now that they've never thought of putting that one on there! Do you already have a 2000w hot plate? Or just thinking about it?

Just thinking about it, why you have some idea?, we love the get more ideas.
10x

I share my mash between four large pans, I bring three to near boiling on my induction hobb, the fourth pot is non magnetic stainless steel which is my boil pot goes on my 2.5kW gas burner, I then decant the three pots at near boiling into the boil pot on the gas. The 2.5kW is enough to raise the total 19L the last 5degrees to the boil and to give a very adequate rolling boil. It's a real pain ! But the results are worth it.

Just thinking about it, why you have some idea?, we love the get more ideas.
10x

Glad you don't have one. I am in the planning stages of upgrading my setup which it seems i will end up with an electric element. From what i have read so far, it seems this is the way you will want to go. The only drawback that i have read is the possibility of scorching the wort. I would do some more research before making the purchase though because i don't recall anyone saying they had scorched the wort, just the possibility of it.

Yes I also conceder the heating element but because of tight budget I will go to the plate option (it is so cheap that even if it will not work I will not cry over it).

ramgeva said:
Yes I also conceder the heating element but because of tight budget I will go to the plate option (it is so cheap that even if it will not work I will not cry over it).

Making your own is pretty cost effective as well. There is plenty of info on how and safety. I just don't see much reason to spend even a little money on a hot plate when majority are pretty sure it won't work. Save that little bit and wait a month to build a element.

kjackson82 said:
Making your own is pretty cost effective as well. There is plenty of info on how and safety. I just don't see much reason to spend even a little money on a hot plate when majority are pretty sure it won't work. Save that little bit and wait a month to build a element.

I guess you are right but when electricity meet water I prefer to leave it to the experts and it makes it more expensive, do you have any link to a safe DYI project like this?
Also someone here where I leave is using a hot plate and he says it is ok for him but he didn't stated timelines so I don't really know how good, worse case I can sell it as brand new and loss a little I think it is worth a shot.

ramgeva said:
I guess you are right but when electricity meet water I prefer to leave it to the experts and it makes it more expensive, do you have any link to a safe DYI project like this? Also someone here where I leave is using a hot plate and he says it is ok for him but he didn't stated timelines so I don't really know how good, worse case I can sell it as brand new and loss a little I think it is worth a shot.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/external-link/?f=51&url=http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

There are more out there but it was the first one I found. There is also a LOT of information about GFCI installation and other circuit protection just on this forum alone along with a lot of knowledgable people on here that can help so feel free to ask if you feel uneasy doing any of it. As long as it is protected on a GFCI you will perfectly fine. I am an electrician/controls tech and deal with electricity on a daily basis and wouldn't feel uneasy at all about using one. In fact, I will be building one myself.

Back