Used wrong size bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendon

Reaction score
Just noticed that i used the large bottle caps on my coffee stout and of course all the beer is not carbonated (tastes fine just not carbonated).

I wanted to make the move to kegging after i went all grain but i rather not loose this batch so i thought i buy a keg and force carbonate this batch. Can this be done even though i added priming sugar? Some of the beers were very lightly carbonated. The beer has been in bottles for about 3 weeks.

I was just going to pour each bottle into the keg, maybe thru a filter? Will i have any issues going this route? Anything else i can do to carbonate the beer?

Your kegging method should work, but not aerating the beer will be tricky.

You could also re prime each bottle individually and recap.

I would drink as is, but that is just me

you sure could put it in a keg but as stated keeping out the O2 will be a problem

it my be easier and better for the beer to recap and prime or just recap

good luck whatever you decide

S_M

You will also get a new % in that beer since this is not a carbonation anymore but a second fermentation!

I just found Coopers carbonation drops http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OALVO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Would this be a better option than priming sugar, since i can just drop a tablet in each bottle? Won't have to pour out each bottle, i'm guessing less oxidation?

I've also noticed about a 1/4 of the batch used the correct size bottle cap, tried one last night and the beer was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people prefer those drops. It is much easier that way but you dont have as much control on the carbonation. I always use fermentable sugars and it works just fine.

The drops work fine. I use them in my 1 gallon batches, and I've only had one batch (out of 5 or 6) with disappointing carbonation. Just be sure to adjust for bottle volume - 1 for 12oz, 2 for 22oz...

Back