Used mowers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowirenut

Reaction score
So this house I am buying has 3/4 of an acre lawn. I don't think push mowing is going to work out well. So I am going to start looking at used riding lawnmowers.

need some advice.
What brands are reliable? What is junk?
What should I look for in a used mower?

The only riding lawnmowers I knew about was my parents old one. A wheel horse.

Budget will be $1000

Try to find a zero turn mower. The smaller the lawn and the more stuff you have to go around, the better they work.

You're going to have a hard time finding a decent zero turn for $1000. You may try to look for a commercial style walk behind with a larger cut or a traditional style rider.

I am thinking a traditional rider. I don't mind using the trimmer for closer things.

2m2t1na.jpg

It may be hard to find, but a used John Deere tractor is possible to find within your price range.

I lucked out about 5 yrs ago on a road trip in upstate NY and found an 8 yr old JD that had been maintained meticulously by the little old man that owned it.

He showed me the bill of sale and all 3 receipts from the service calls.

Sharpened the blades every year, replaced the belts according to specs and that thing still runs like a top and it is going on 15 yrs old and still runs well.

A traditional snapper will give you less trouble than anything else, but they are slooooow. You won't loose any money on a used one, so it may be a good option initially if you want to move up later.

I am very partial to my Deere x300 with 42" deck. I have a 1 acre lot, and cut about 3/4 acre. From start to finish I am done in an hour, including trimming, blowing, etc. If you are looking at used JD, check out the dealers. There are an awful lot of folks that trade them fairly often, a good "dealer only" unit is what you are after. If your yard has slopes or bumps don't go crazy on deck size, as it will cause scalping. Biggest thing to look for is deck condition. Inspect the bottom for major rust.

There is no better feeling to quickly knock out grass cutting and have good results, with a machine that runs well and operates properly. At the same time there is nothing worse than trying to cut grass after a long day at work (before it gets dark) and have to fight issues from a POS mower/tools.

It didn't come up in your original post, but if you need a string trimmer, leaf blower, etc, buy quality stuff. For the love of God don't buy one if those multi purpose blower/string trimmer combo's, or anything 4 stroke. Make sure the string trimmer is a straight shaft model for longevity. I am very partial to Echo/Shindawia, but Stihl is nice as well. Not a huge fan of Husqvarna's stuff other than their pro quality chain saws, but they aren't garbage. Echo cranks easier than any other brand in my opinion; something to keep in mind if the SWMBO will be assisting you.

Finally, some maintenance tips. Whatever you buy, clean the grass clippings off the mower deck and rest of the mower right after you finish cutting (leaf blower is the easiest way) and clean out under the deck about once a month. If available in your area, spend the extra $ on non ethanol gas for all small engine applications, 89 or higher octane for 2 strokes. If non-ethanol is not available, buy your gas in small quantities, and drain the gas/run it out any time you will be storing for over a month. A in line fuel shut off is handy for this, just close the valve and let the carb run dry. You can leave the ethanol gas in the tank, just add fresh gas to it in the spring. If you don't run 2 strokes very much, the premixed fuel in a can works very well. Slightly expensive, but very handy, and no mixing or ethanol issues. Stihl, Echo, and TruFuel are all made by the same company, but do have slightly different oils in them. They are all good quality.

Sorry for the long winded response. I used to operate a rental house with an extensive small engine department. I try to save people the headaches I used to deal with every day whenever possible.

thanks for the long winded advice:D

I already have a good echo backpack blower and a straight shaft trimmer. My other yard just was not big enough for a rider. We have several JD dealerships in my area. Will defiantly check them out. There is both a residential and a agriculture one. Both have used riding mowers on the web sites.

I picked up a used Agco Allis for my old house (1acre) and it was a beast. Even had a plow that attached to do my drive in the winter. Had to take deck off, but literally was a 30sec process

I have a Deere rider with a 42" deck up north and a Husqvarna with a 42" deck and a triple-bagger at home. Both recent vintage - the Deere is 3 years old and the Husky 1 - both V-twins, iron front axles, hydrostatic drive with pedal controls, lights, "cruise", etc.

They're both great machines, but I prefer the Husky. It sits better and has a much tighter turning radius. In fairness, that might be a industry thing of the last year or two so the Deere might have been just a year too old.

[edit] I'll add that I my previous home machine was another Husky, single cylinder/42" deck, bought in 1988 and given away - still running - last year. The previous Deere up north lasted for a good 15 years before it was retired. So I don't think you can miss with either brand...

Cheers!

FWIW my FIL HAD to have a JD lawn mower. He spent more in replacement parts in the first 3 years than I did in the 10 years I owned my Craftsman. And I left my Craftsman outside all summer most years!

I am wondering if the quality of some of the JD stuff is lower these days. Everyone seems to want them, but I have no interest after driving his and seeing his repair bills.

I worked as an auto tech-equipment maintenance supe at a 17,000 acre state park for 30 years. The J D mowers you buy at Lowes etc. are not the same as mowers from a JD dealer. Good J D mowers will last forever but if you need parts you're gonna need to get a loan.

I really wanted a Deere, and only considered dealers because of the lower quality of the big stores.
I ended up getting a nice snowblower and yard tractor from a Husqvarna dealer for what the JD would have cost.

I've been using older Cub Cadet riding mowers, got one that's from the 60's still runs and cuts, but the deck is a little rusted out, have a newer one probably from the 80's, still cuts pretty good. I cut several acres with a 38" mower and would like to have bigger machine, maybe get a bigger one this year, either another vintage cub cadet or a deere.
Look on craigslist and Ebay starting now through springtime, you'll find something.

Of all the mowers I have used this was the best and easiest to work on. Faster, better cut (unless grass is too tall) clutch is a simple rubber wheel. Far more stable on an incline. I have 2 others that are newer and I still like this old thing. Picked it up for free and it is about 25 plus years old. Have a 2 blade craftsmen which is slow and leaves a high strip of grass in the center. I also have a John deer which always feels like it is going to tip and the weight is not in the right place making it a pain in the a$$ on slightly wet grass and a hill.
Hope this helps.
Ps not actually a picture of mine.

2015-01-15-00-42-38--713909140.jpeg

And don't get suckered into a cub cadet I know 2 people who have nothing but problems with them

I've been working on small engine stuff since 1992. If you're looking at used stuff 99% of it is common sense. It could be 2 years old or 20! If it looks abused it is abused. All machines wear and break but abuse accelerates it. As far as brands... cub Cadet, Gravely, John Deer all make decent machines but they are expensive! Expensive to buy, expensive to buy parts, expensive to fix! Cheaper models may not last as long but are cheaper. Cheaper to buy, and fix. However as long as they aren't abused they can last! For your budget you could buy a cheaper model for $500-$750 and just a few years old. Take care of it and it should last you 3-5 years minimum without major problems. In that time hopefully you'll be in a better financial position and can get a higher quality machine of your dreams. But as far as used just use common sense. Check the oil for metal pieces. Look for oil leaks from the engine and rear axle. Look for rust, bent metal, anything lose, rattling, squeaking, chewed on. Listen for noises and vibrations that don't feel right. If any of this doesn't feel right in your gut, WALK AWAY! good luck and have faith in your gut!

And don't get suckered into a cub cadet I know 2 people who have nothing but problems with them

I agree 100%. My father has a late model "dealer only" cub 52" machine at the lake house. Complete piece of garbage. Under 200 hours and the deck has been reworked twice, steering is very stiff (mom can't drive it), and the exhaust is routed such that it melted the corner of the hood.

My much less expensive JD X300 with a 10" smaller deck runs circles around it.

I worked as an auto tech-equipment maintenance supe at a 17,000 acre state park for 30 years. The J D mowers you buy at Lowes etc. are not the same as mowers from a JD dealer. Good J D mowers will last forever but if you need parts you're gonna need to get a loan.

Yep, I worked at a mower shop one summer. The shop I was at even charged a 10% green mower tax. They are a pain in the a$$ to work on and to get parts for, and there are no manuals, schematics, etc available unless you are a Deere Dealer. They also had to pay full retail for parts ordered from a Deere Dealer 50 miles away. So grab your loan officer when you need one worked on, and hope its not planting or harvesting season, cause your mower aint getting fixed, if there are tractors and combines in the fields.

Reality is that most non zero turn mower are made by AYP or MTD and just have different paint and stickers.

Latest posts

Back