Used kegs purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RishoBrew

Reaction score
I’m new to kegging and purchased two refurbed kegs from reputable online source. But as the story goes, I need more kegs. Found an add for four kegs at a fraction of what it would cost from my source. The caveat? They been sitting for eight years so who knows what condition they’re in. They are Corny kegs with ball lock. I imagine I’d have to replace new o-rings, posts, etc.

As I mentioned, I have little experience with kegs, so the question is, is this worth pursuing?

Let's assume these haven't been air dropped, rolled over, or were used as potential WMDs at some point, and are actually serviceable kegs.
An O-ring set goes for around $4, if you need to replace poppets you can go "universal" for a buck or so per post. Along with a full-blown cleaning only you know if the time vs cost makes sense.

fwiw, most of my kegs have been in my possession for almost 16 years, and were probably 30 to 40 years old by the time I bought them. Age isn't an intrinsic issue...

Cheers!

As long as they hold pressure they should be usable. Bent or cracked parts are a deal breaker.

They should be fine. Most of these kegs are over 30 years old, even if buying from a good source they just replace seals and pressure test.

Back