Used a new yeast and no activity :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

area123

Reaction score
I prepared my cider as always with pectic enzyme and a little added frozen concentrate which I pasteurized as usual. I pitched some wyesst liquid yeast about 10 hours ago before bed. No active fermentation at all. It's just inside the house so it's around 67 F. I normally use safele s04 and I get active fermentation within 4 hours or so.

I was just surprised to not see anything at all. Should I repitch with my s04 or just wait 24 hours? Or do something else like warm up the cider some? I just don't want it to sit too long and risk bacteria and wild yeast taking over.

I am surprised that you would see active fermentation after four hours from pitching S04. When I use re-hydrated Nottingham it usually takes 24 to 36 hours before fermentation starts.

Let it go for another day before re-pitching. 67F is a good temp to start at. After fermentation gets going, I would lower the temp to 60ish.

Personally I would wait for it. I some time get very long lag time (couple of days). As long as you have sanitized well and pasteurized your fruit you should be fine.

Ok I will wait. I know the yeast itself was active because I followed the instructions and broke the internal pack and the bag swelled up. Yeah I sanitized everything as usual, the star san had been sitting my keg a few weeks but I've used it older than that before. The cider was already pasteurized, I've used it many times.

As far as the s04 and nottingham yeasts, yeah I always use those and I get lot of fermentation activity overnight. But I normally reactivate with a small amount of nutrient and sugar and warm water until it is very active, then pitch it. I'm just not used to these slow yeasts i guess.

Latest posts

Back