Used 5gal Barrel into Tap Tower- tips/suggestions/ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carola1155

Reaction score
So, I snagged a used Summit Kegerator last week off of FB marketplace for a good price. The tower on it is a single-tap, which I would like to upgrade. The base of the kegerator can fit 2x 5gal kegs and a single 2.5 gallon keg with plenty of space for the CO2, regulator and distribution. So I intend on going with 3 taps.
full

This brings me to the main purpose of my post- I have a used 5gallon whiskey barrel from some beer I aged last year... that I've been wanting to give a second life as a decoration or something. Googling a bit revealed a potentially great solution to my needs.
keg-hire.png

So my questions:
First- has anyone on here built one of these already? I searched around and couldn't find any exactly like this. I found a couple similar, but they are built in a different direction. (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...tom-tower-with-raspberrypints-mock-up.518491/ and https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/barrel-tapped-kegerator.377267/)

Next- Does anyone have any suggestions on the logistics of cutting this thing up so I can get into it and run my lines? Should I just remove one of the heads and work from that end? Will the rest of the barrel lose too much strength if I do that? Should I just cut a large hole in the barrel head and leave a bit of a ring to help keep the staves in place? Or would it be better to simply cut an access panel in the back of the barrel?

Finally- Besides the obvious stuff like shanks and taps, does anyone have recommendations on equipment/parts that will be necessary for making this happen? I will be running a large PVC tube up from the kegerator with a fan for cooling the lines. I'll insulate the inside of the barrel with a combination of great stuff (to take up space so I'm not cooling the inside of the whole barrel) and some thermal bubble roll to work as a vapor barrier and insulation from where the shanks will enter.

I'm open to any and all suggestions (except telling me not to do it!). I either own or have access to pretty much any woodworking tools I should need, so throw whatever you got at the wall and we'll see if it sticks.

Thanks in advance!

I own an original wooden beer keg from Ruppert's Brewery. I took one end out to hang on my kegerator. The rest of the barrel is still solid and strong, and holds water even though it's missing it's middle hoops. It does leak in the middle. So I don't think you need to leave any part of the lid in it, the staves will hold the shape. Oak is a good insulator too, though I agree with your decision not to cool the entire interior. Be careful with the hoops and staves, let us know how it goes. I think it will be very special.

Hey John, thanks for the response. I was hoping that the hoops alone would be enough to hold it together- so it's good to hear that is probably the case.

As for filling it in/insulating, I figured the less space to cool means less work/stress for the compressor, which is always a good thing IMO.

Did you treat the outside of your barrel at all? The one in the picture I found is obviously lacquered up. I'm debating if I want to do that or leave it as-is.

My barrel is decades old, and appears to have been stored in a barn. I washed it out, and scrubbed the lid. I have not finished it yet, but considered oil, varnish or sealer. I may just leave it alone. I don't think it originally had any finish.

Slowly getting around to some work on this... got the whole cut in the bottom and the first tap hole drilled.

Shot myself in the foot by guestimating something and not just measuring it. I bought the shanks while shopping from work during lunch... read somewhere online that the staves for a 5gal barrel are 1-1/8". Seemed right based on what I remembered of the barrel- so I picked up the 2" shanks from morebeer (which have 1-7/8" for passthrough after you account for the nut). Turns out my staves are a bit thicker and it's not quite enough. So to get a tight seal im going to have to shave off some of the inside of the barrel with my dremel, or just buy the 4" shanks. Oh well- ya live ya learn.

Only other thing that might be tricky is finding a drip tray to fit the shape of it...

This is what it looks like so far though!

img_4440-jpg.584388

Attachments

• IMG_4440.JPG
    IMG_4440.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 260
So it's been a little while since I posted (sorry!). Turns out Morebeer had mislabeled their 2" shank so I ended up returning them and getting the 3" shank to replace it, and now it fits through my barrel.

It's all drilled and operating just with a bunch of insulation jammed up into the unit for now. Needed to get it running so I could finish a few kegs! When I have a little more time over the holidays I'm probably going to tear it down and do a cleaner job/add fans for cold air circulation from the box below.

Please excuse the tap handles- need to repaint a couple :)

The collars around the shank did not like the uneven surface of the barrel and I think I cracked all 3 of them when I tightened the faucets into their spot. So, going to look into some of the stainless ones I've seen online as they wouldn't be as brittle as the plastic.

Also, the next challenge is finding a drip tray that can accommodate this. Anyone have any suggestions?

ooo I have a buddy with an automated wood carving machine... could just stick a piece of wood in it and carve out the middle to make it basically look like one of those chip things and then lay a piece of metal grate over top of it.

thanks for the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back