Use of pectic enzyme when racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rivalry15

Reaction score
I always use pectic enzyme before ferm. I have noticed my last few batches that when racking to a new carboy and topping up with fresh cider to minimize air space that the batch goes hazy and does not clear readily. Could this be solved with a small additional addition of enzyme?

I have read that pectic enzyme is less effective in the presence of alcohol or at refrigerated temps. Maybe add the enzyme to the fresh juice first (at room temp) and let it do its thing before using it to top off.

I would think the best thing would be to use an appropriately sized primary and secondary so topping off isn't needed. Or top off with fermented cider that is already clear as opposed to fresh cider.

Or you could always try to use some sort of fining to clear the cider.

I always grab a jug of fresh from whole foods, hit it with 1-2 teaspoons of pectic enzyme and let it settle, then transfer the now very clear juice to a new container , add perhaps .1-.15g k-meta to that and use that to top off anything needing it. Should hold 2-3 weeks if pasteurized. THe k-meta is minimal but it helps lower the risk of volatile acidity. (which will plague you if you sample often, even with topping off)

Back