US-05 at 54f?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyMcBong

Reaction score
That's where Brewersfriend told me the low end of 05's range was and where I've been fermenting at for 2 days. It seems everywhere else lists 05's low end at 59f.

It seems to be fermenting fine, krausen and blow off bubbles. Should I raise the temp to 59 or just let it ride at 54?

Whats your experience?

Thanks for any advice...

That's where Brewersfriend told me the low end of 05's range was and where I've been fermenting at for 2 days. It seems everywhere else lists 05's low end at 59f.

It seems to be fermenting fine, krausen and blow off bubbles. Should I raise the temp to 59 or just let it ride at 54?

Whats your experience?

Thanks for any advice...

Are you reading ambient temperature or the temperature of the actual fermenting beer?

If it's the ambient, then chances are the internal fermenting temperature is closer to 60°F anyways.

And as Hello said, if it's working, it's working.

It gives a peachy flavor to the beer at low temps and not in a good way. i strongly dislike this yeast and have fermented with it at all different ranges. cleanest is mid to upper 60s. Still would never use this yeast again. hate the taste of it and its not as neutral as ppl say it is.

One thing that could happen at that temp with 05 is it stalling at the end. When the bubbles slow (not stop) you may want to ramp up a few degrees to help it finish.

I'd let it warm up to 65*F. That seems to be the sweet spot for the Chico strain. If you want to ferment in the mid-upper 50's with a strain that handles it well, Nottingham is excellent.

It gives a peachy flavor to the beer at low temps and not in a good way. i strongly dislike this yeast and have fermented with it at all different ranges. cleanest is mid to upper 60s. Still would never use this yeast again. hate the taste of it and its not as neutral as ppl say it is.

I too got strong peach flavors fermenting in the low 60s°F. I like the yeast just fine for upper 60s fermentations, though.

I too got strong peach flavors fermenting in the low 60s°F. I like the yeast just fine for upper 60s fermentations, though.

Last IPA i made i used US05. i had a couple packets in the fridge and my starter of wlp090 didnt take off cause the yeast was super old. So i went with the US05 since thats all i had. fermented at 67*. no matter what the temp i can always taste the yeast. i get it with wlp001 and 1056 too since they are all the same strain. my go to yeast that ferments very clean is pacman and SD super yeast.

I, too, would suggest bumping it up to 63-64 if possible. I've found it to be pretty clean if you can start it off in the low/mid 60s and bump it into the high 60s as fermentation is ending. It cleans itself up nicely, in my experience.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I bumped my stc up to 60f earlier. I don't have a heat source in the fridge but I'm guessing it won't take too long for fermentation to raise the temp enough.

Oh, and the measured temp is from the probe against the carboy under insulation. So pretty close to the actual liquid temps.

Again, thanks everyone.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. I bumped my stc up to 60f earlier. I don't have a heat source in the fridge but I'm guessing it won't take too long for fermentation to raise the temp enough.

Oh, and the measured temp is from the probe against the carboy under insulation. So pretty close to the actual liquid temps.

Again, thanks everyone.

I wouldn't worry about it too much or make many adjustments. I've fermented close to 20 batches with US-05 at around 58 F and they are so incredibly good.

I just finished a Helles that was fermented with US-05 at 54F and I do not detect any peachy flavor or aroma. However, I do agree that some yeast strains aren't desirable to all drinkers. For some reason, I can't stand 1007. There is a flavor in there that I dislike.

Back