URGENT: Pastor Peter's Persnickity Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipUSMC

Reaction score
Allright, I'm gonna try this out here too. Same question as in the beginners forum, but I might get a wider audience out here.

Here's the story: We have a friend, who is also a Pastor and also a MAJOR beer snob coming to stay with us in 2 months. I need a Porter that will kick him where the sun don't... well, where he isn't usually kicked (Which hopefully is never). I'm looking for some advice on folks favorite darker Porter recipes or something else in that general category you think would at least keep him occupied long enough to not ask me about all my sins (cause Lord knows they are too numerous to number... or something like that). I'll need some tips on how to snazz it up and make it sing. I'll take any cheap tricks you can think of to make it "the best Porter Pastor Peter has ever partaken in."

:mug:

then leave the bourbon out. I haven't made that recipe. Denny and that recipe are well thought of on here.

Ray Daniel's Snowflake Smoked Porter, available from MoreBeer.com. Available in extract, or all Grain. I brewed it in April, and have a precious few left. Good stuff!

This is super urgent! And yet I don't care.

Haha- exactly. URGENT: I NEED SOME ADVICE FOR TWO MONTHS FROM NOW.

Anyway- I personally think a perfectly executed Brown Porter is more impressive than any big dark beer. That said, any of Denny's popular recipes are better than excellent.

Roger, urgent is right! It's a pastor, man! Gotta get this porter right. I'll use this as my excuse to try one of these recipes as a BIAB.

RipUSMC said:
Roger, urgent is right! It's a pastor, man! Gotta get this porter right. I'll use this as my excuse to try one of these recipes as a BIAB.

You think you're going to hell if he doesn't like your beer?

Try the brown porter from brewing classic styles. It's excellent and is straight forward.

Going to jump right in and re-suggest a beer that would take well to a spare month of aging (one of the precursers to the modern "stout" style) a single stout porter (basically an extra roasty robust porter).

Sraid Dhasain Single Stout Porter
OG 1.060
FG 1.016
WY1084
5 gallons, all grain

Grist:
9 lbs Warminster Maris Otter
1 lbs Amber malt
10 oz Black patent malt

Mash:
154 F for 75 minutes
Mashout 168 F for 10 minutes

Boil:
4.5 oz East Kent Goldings (whole) 3% aa @ 60”

Ferment WY1084 @ ~65F as long as you can stand, then carbonate to a low level (1-2 volumes)

4.5 oz of EKG 3% AA whole hops gets you to around 60 IBU'S. I have 5.6% AA pellets, would 60 IBU'S be the target with this? 2.4 oz should get me to that same mark if so....

Going to jump right in and re-suggest a beer that would take well to a spare month of aging (one of the precursers to the modern "stout" style) a single stout porter (basically an extra roasty robust porter).

Sraid Dhasain Single Stout Porter
OG 1.060
FG 1.016
WY1084
5 gallons, all grain

Grist:
9 lbs Warminster Maris Otter
1 lbs Amber malt
10 oz Black patent malt

Mash:
154 F for 75 minutes
Mashout 168 F for 10 minutes

Boil:
4.5 oz East Kent Goldings (whole) 3% aa @ 60”

Ferment WY1084 @ ~65F as long as you can stand, then carbonate to a low level (1-2 volumes)

Pardon the noob question, as this will be my 2nd all grain batch and 1st attempt at a Porter, but when you say aging, you mean an extra month at room temp(72°F) in the bottle/keg?

Latest posts

Back