Ur thoughts on Chaptalization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback/insights/tips/tricks re Chaptalization when making wine from those with experience.

Up to this point I've held off on adding any granular sugars to any of my vinos or ciders -- I've only used frozen juice concentrates to increase SG.

However...just came across this article that seems to indicate adding granular sugar to the must pre-ferment doesn't result in as negative end product effects as I thought might happen. Here's the article:

https://winemakermag.com/technique/371-how-sweet-it-is-chaptalization

Your thoughts appreciated!

Cheers [emoji111]

I've made a fruit wine with added sugar; it's good.

I've experimented just a little and I think mostly dextrose with a little partially refined sugar like turbinado adds the best character.
Honey is also a fine choice. After all, good wine can be made with 100% honey.

Brown sugar, molasses, or straight white sugar (Domino) aren't good in appreciable quantities, in my opinion.

I've made a fruit wine with added sugar; it's good.

I've experimented just a little and I think mostly dextrose with a little partially refined sugar like turbinado adds the best character.
Honey is also a fine choice. After all, good wine can be made with 100% honey.

Brown sugar, molasses, or straight white sugar (Domino) aren't good in appreciable quantities, in my opinion.
Thx RPh! Any feel for how big of an SG boost is viable w/o torching the vino? ie) I'm guessing a boost from 1.06 to 1.13 would result in a very poor quality end game.

Thoughts?

Cheers [emoji111]

Thx RPh! Any feel for how big of an SG boost is viable w/o torching the vino? ie) I'm guessing a boost from 1.06 to 1.13 would result in a very poor quality end game.

Thoughts?

Cheers [emoji111]
That entirely depends on the flavor potency of the fruit and how well you can preserve it.

Back