Upright Keezer: Wall mount drip tray on slightly curved door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmrudden

Reaction score
New to the forum here. I would like to start out by thanking everyone for all of the threads that they have started in the past. There is a plethora of information on this website.

I am currently in the process of an upright keezer build. I have a Kenmore 22042 20.2 cu. ft. Upright Freezer and a 24" wide wall mount drip tray from ACU Manufacturing.

My problem is that I purchased the drip tray before I brought home the freezer. I am now noticing that the freezer door has a slight curve to it. At 12" from center (where the edge of the drip tray would land) the door deflects 1/4" inward. I have drawn a terrible picture in paint to show this.

I have been racking my brain trying to come up with solutions to make this a clean install. These are the options that I have come up with so far:

1. Do nothing
2. Shim outside faucet holes so that tray remains straight across. Caulk the gap (either white or silver)
2. Attempt to bend the bottom of the tray to fit the contour of the door. The top will pull in when the shanks are tightened.

Would like to hear your thoughts and/or experiences. Thank you!

prod_12126196412.jpg

Wall_Mount_wDrain_24in_8H_SS4_-1_1024x1024.png

1.jpg

I vote for option #1. I'm not sure I follow what you mean for #2 and for #3* I think you'd have a really hard time getting the bottom to bend nicely.

1/4" Isn't much of a big deal, the top portion of the sheet steel will easily bend to conform (or the freezer door). Are you worried about the appearance of the gap from the side view? Or maybe it twisting out to one side or the other? You could some sort 1/4" adhesive backed material to shim out the bottom corners to even it out, make it look a little better. Maybe a couple pieces of rubber and some 3M spray or what ever floats your boat really.

Its really just appearance. If I do nothing the top will hug the door and the bottom will not.

That's a good idea. I can just use some weather stripping along the edges.

As there is zero chance you're going to bend the tray bottom - or the tray itself - to fit the fridge curve, I'd fabricate an interposer out of something like maple...

Cheers!

Just in case anyone was wondering, I chose to do nothing. Once mounted, the tray pulled in enough on the sides where I'm not concerned. If I ever add any additional taps it will pull in even more.

untitled.jpg

Back