Upright Freezer Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StinkyEttin

Reaction score
So I bought this freezer for a couple hundred bucks with the intention of using it as a fermentation chamber.

http://www.partselect.com/ModelSect...Position=4&mfg=Frigidaire&Type=Freezer&Mark=4

To control the temperature, I've purchased this temp controller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KEYDNKK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Now, I'm reading a bit more and wondering if I should have gone with a fridge instead of a freezer. And, if I keep the freezer, where to drill a hole for the temperature probe. The plans above seem to show the condenser, but not any coolant lines that may be present in the unit. I'd like to run the probe through the rear of the unit (maintain a semblance of aesthetics was a condition of the purchase).

Last edited by a moderator:
So I bought this freezer for a couple hundred bucks with the intention of using it as a fermentation chamber.

http://www.partselect.com/ModelSect...Position=4&mfg=Frigidaire&Type=Freezer&Mark=4

To control the temperature, I've purchased this temp controller.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KEYDNKK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Now, I'm reading a bit more and wondering if I should have gone with a fridge instead of a freezer. And, if I keep the freezer, where to drill a hole for the temperature probe. The plans above seem to show the condenser, but not any coolant lines that may be present in the unit. I'd like to run the probe through the rear of the unit (maintain a semblance of aesthetics was a condition of the purchase).

I typically use chest freezers with Inkbird 308's, but do use an old fridge which I find great for taller fermentation vessels like Conicals. Either freezers or fridges work fine for me. I have not used an ATC like the one you bought but most work about the same. No need to drill a hole...just run your probe inside and the door's gasket seal will be all you need. I use thermowells in my fermenters to run the probe down into the wort, but you can also tape the probe to the side of the fermenter and then put some sort of insulating foam (like a beer coozie) over the probe to protect it from ambient temps.

I typically use chest freezers with Inkbird 308's, but do use an old fridge which I find great for taller fermentation vessels like Conicals. Either freezers or fridges work fine for me.
Yeah, I originally considered a chest freezer, but didn't want to muck around with lifting my fermenter in and out. I have a Catalyst conical, and the chamber needs to be on the tall side.
I have not used an ATC like the one you bought but most work about the same. No need to drill a hole...just run your probe inside and the door's gasket seal will be all you need. I use thermowells in my fermenters to run the probe down into the wort, but you can also tape the probe to the side of the fermenter and then put some sort of insulating foam (like a beer coozie) over the probe to protect it from ambient temps.
This is also where I have conflicting guidance. I want to maintain a temp of 64 degrees, but I've heard that running the probe into liquid will make the temperature range inside the chamber wildly fluctuate and make that difficult. But the liquid's temperature may be higher than the temperature inside the chamber simply due to the fermenting process.

Ugh. Science.

Yeah, I originally considered a chest freezer, but didn't want to muck around with lifting my fermenter in and out. I have a Catalyst conical, and the chamber needs to be on the tall side.

This is also where I have conflicting guidance. I want to maintain a temp of 64 degrees, but I've heard that running the probe into liquid will make the temperature range inside the chamber wildly fluctuate and make that difficult. But the liquid's temperature may be higher than the temperature inside the chamber simply due to the fermenting process.

Ugh. Science.

Yep, this is science!

I think your choice of an upright freezer is a good one albeit you wont have much floor space for but one fermenter....typically. If you grow your operation, this will be a factor. You need height....you made a good choice. Your other good choice is that you are controlling fermentation temps. Thumbs up!!

Thermowells being hollow tubes extending into the center mass of the wort have always worked for me. The probe is kept dry in the small opening of the hollow tube so the probe is reading the center mass temps. Ok the science part.....Exothermic heat - Your fermenting beer will be warmer than ambient conditions due to the activity produced by the yeast during fermentation. Set a clear sealed with airlock carboy with wort/yeast in your closet. Look at the wort and it looks like it is rolling and all the particulate in suspension is seeming to be in motion. The temp in your house and closet is 73F. Take a reading with a thermometer into this fermenting wort. You'll be close to 80F. Exothermic heat.

Your ATC probe senses this heat and demands your freezer to cool it down to 64F per your setting. If you simply tape the probe to the fermenter side, just be sure to cover the probe tip with some sort of insulation so the probe will read the wort and not the ambient chamber temps.

Upright freezers are the best IMO. You can cold crash past freezing if you want too, which you can't in a fridge. You should be able to drill a hole in the top and not hit anything important. Oviously, you'll want to steer clear of the coil on the back and the one that's on the inside. I'd drill it right beside where ever you want to set the temp controller. In the winter time, you'll want a form of heat in there too. I use a small ceramic space heater.

I don't worry about the probe placement on the fermentor. I use a metallic sheet of bubble wrap to insulate it and secure with a bungie cord. A koozie works well too. To gently ramp up or down your temp, let the probe dangle in the air. This works great for saisons, belgians, hefe's, etc. and for a gentle cold crash.

Also, i can get two big glass fermentors in mine. It's tight. I had to reinforce the wire shelf to hold two or it flexed quite a bit. I used a small metal angle iron, might have been an old drawer slide i believe. it's just zip tied to shelf.

20170417_184149.jpg

Upright freezers are the best IMO. You can cold crash past freezing if you want too, which you can't in a fridge.

I don't really see why not....I have a fridge as a ferm chamber and I chase it right down to 32 degrees. No reason I can't go even colder. I have the refrigerator turned as cold as its control will go, and then use an Inkbird to control wort temperature.

I don't worry about the probe placement on the fermentor. I use a metallic sheet of bubble wrap to insulate it and secure with a bungie cord. A koozie works well too. To gently ramp up or down your temp, let the probe dangle in the air. This works great for saisons, belgians, hefe's, etc. and for a gentle cold crash.

As long as one can isolate the probe from the ambient temps inside the fridge or freezer, it doesn't matter much what one uses. Some use bubble wrap, others folded towels...

I use a piece of foam like so:

probefoam.jpg

fermchamber.jpg

For OP, note that I have not only the temp probe wire passing between door seal and refrigerator body, but also the wires for a fermwrap heater. I don't see any issues with that.

I think your choice of an upright freezer is a good one albeit you wont have much floor space for but one fermenter....typically. If you grow your operation, this will be a factor. You need height....you made a good choice. Your other good choice is that you are controlling fermentation temps. Thumbs up!!
Now to contend with moisture. Time to invest in silica packs and towels!
Thermowells being hollow tubes extending into the center mass of the wort have always worked for me. The probe is kept dry in the small opening of the hollow tube so the probe is reading the center mass temps.
How would I facilitate a fermentation lock in addition to this? Drill a second hole in my fermenter lid?
Ok the science part.....Exothermic heat - Your fermenting beer will be warmer than ambient conditions due to the activity produced by the yeast during fermentation. Set a clear sealed with airlock carboy with wort/yeast in your closet. Look at the wort and it looks like it is rolling and all the particulate in suspension is seeming to be in motion. The temp in your house and closet is 73F. Take a reading with a thermometer into this fermenting wort. You'll be close to 80F. Exothermic heat.
Now, are there additional measures to be taken to circulate the wort inside the fermenter? Like I said, my setup is pretty basic.
Your ATC probe senses this heat and demands your freezer to cool it down to 64F per your setting. If you simply tape the probe to the fermenter side, just be sure to cover the probe tip with some sort of insulation so the probe will read the wort and not the ambient chamber temps.
Having the probe be a permanent fixture of the fermenter isn't an attractive idea.

Now to contend with moisture. Time to invest in silica packs and towels!

I don't see moisture as a problem, but you may. I'd hold off until things happen to force your reaction.

How would I facilitate a fermentation lock in addition to this? Drill a second hole in my fermenter lid?

Depends on your fermenter. I started off with plastic pails with one hole and rubber grommet for an airlock. I drilled a second hole for the thermowell, added a rubber grommet to seal and off to the races.

Now, are there additional measures to be taken to circulate the wort inside the fermenter? Like I said, my setup is pretty basic.

No action needed. All will be rolling around for a bit, then will settle down quickly as fermentation ends. You'll have a nice yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter when everything settles out of suspension.

Having the probe be a permanent fixture of the fermenter isn't an attractive idea.

Sure, I taped my probe on the side of plastic fermenter buckets for many moons. Use a piece of foam like Mongoose33 showed you and all is golden.

Upright freezers are the best IMO. You can cold crash past freezing if you want too, which you can't in a fridge. You should be able to drill a hole in the top and not hit anything important. Oviously, you'll want to steer clear of the coil on the back and the one that's on the inside. I'd drill it right beside where ever you want to set the temp controller. In the winter time, you'll want a form of heat in there too. I use a small ceramic space heater.
Yeah. I'll be picking up a little reptile heater to take care of that problem.
his works great for saisons, belgians, hefe's, etc. and for a gentle cold crash.
I'm not really anticipating anything too complex in the near future. I simply don't have the time to brew all that often.
Also, i can get two big glass fermentors in mine. It's tight. I had to reinforce the wire shelf to hold two or it flexed quite a bit. I used a small metal angle iron, might have been an old drawer slide i believe. it's just zip tied to shelf.
The freezer in question won't hold much more than my fermenter, so it'll just be one batch at a time. For now, anyway.
As long as one can isolate the probe from the ambient temps inside the fridge or freezer, it doesn't matter much what one uses. Some use bubble wrap, others folded towels...

I use a piece of foam like so:
I use a metallic sheet of bubble wrap to insulate it and secure with a bungie cord.
Sure, I taped my probe on the side of plastic fermenter buckets for many moons. Use a piece of foam like Mongoose33 showed you and all is golden.
This is relieving news. Consensus is wort temp, not ambient temp. Groovy.

For OP, note that I have not only the temp probe wire passing between door seal and refrigerator body, but also the wires for a fermwrap heater. I don't see any issues with that.
Also awesome news. Couple pieces of duct tape should be a fine.

Little late to this thread but I also am running with a catalyst and decided on an upright for the same reasons as you.

One thing to keep in mind is many upright freezers snake the coolant lines along each shelf. You can see in my pictures my high tech solution to this (carefully bending the one shelf down to allow clearance).

Depending on how the lines are run it may not be possible to bend a shelf out of the way.

Good luck! I don't have a pic but I added a simple thermowell that I picked up for 15 bucks. Feed my inkbird sensor down the thermowell into the beer to get a better temp reading of the beer rather than taping an insulated probe to the side.

Picked up this one and it works great in the catalyst - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XZJQVDF/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

DYAigIv.jpg

MHSElLJ.jpg

Really late to this thread.. How hard is it to bend the coils? Looking to pick up a freezer without coils, but most of the ones i see have them. Found some on craigslist but they have them also.

Really late to this thread.. How hard is it to bend the coils? Looking to pick up a freezer without coils, but most of the ones i see have them. Found some on craigslist but they have them also.

Well let me chime in since I was the previous poster before you. That freezer where I bent the shelves died on me 4 brews in. Will no longer cool down so I am assuming I somewhere punctured a small hole when bending the shelves. Ended up tossing that freezer and picked up one without the coils.

Well let me chime in since I was the previous poster before you. That freezer where I bent the shelves died on me 4 brews in. Will no longer cool down so I am assuming I somewhere punctured a small hole when bending the shelves. Ended up tossing that freezer and picked up one without the coils.

Yeah that would not be fun... Hard to find them, used, without coils. I just don't want to pick out my buckets out of a chest freezer. Hurt my back, mix up the yeast again. Trying to avoid that.

Reviving this thread as I am looking for an upright freezer for my fermzilla.

Does anyone have any upright freezer recommendations I can look into?

fwiw, before I went with an upright freezer I'd check out my local Craig's List for freezer-less fridges large enough to hold your fermentor...

Cheers!

Reviving this thread as I am looking for an upright freezer for my fermzilla.

Does anyone have any upright freezer recommendations I can look into?
Insignia (Best Buy) makes a 7 cu in upright without coils in the shelves. Or get a larger upright freezer. The small ones are the ones with coils in the shelves. BrewPi.com has good info on wiring. The main difference between a fridge and a freezer seems to be that the thermostat on the fridge will limit how cold your fridge will go. IF that is an issue for you, just bypass the thermostat (See above mentioned website). Please note: I am just sharing my research. I’ll be converting an Insignia 7 Cu In freezer in a couple of weeks. I’ll take pictures and share my success when I’m done. If I fail I will just pretend I never said anything.

Insignia (Best Buy) makes a 7 cu in upright without coils in the shelves. Or get a larger upright freezer. The small ones are the ones with coils in the shelves. BrewPi.com has good info on wiring. The main difference between a fridge and a freezer seems to be that the thermostat on the fridge will limit how cold your fridge will go. IF that is an issue for you, just bypass the thermostat (See above mentioned website). Please note: I am just sharing my research. I’ll be converting an Insignia 7 Cu In freezer in a couple of weeks. I’ll take pictures and share my success when I’m done. If I fail I will just pretend I never said anything.
Hi, I’m looking at the exact same upright freezer ( insignia). I need at least 37 inch height for my ss brew bucket. What is the clearance if you use the bottom shelf in this fridge so you have the maximum depth too?

Back