Upgrading to bench capper, have a few questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently using an all-metal wing capper, one of those Italian jobs that dimples the caps. Saturday I was bottling a batch of Munich Helles, and as I was about halfway through the batch I heard a little crack while crimping one down so I took a look at the neck of the bottle and there was a vertical crack in the glass about 2 inches long coming straight down from the crown area. Obviously this bottle was no good but I was too worried about shards of glass to pour the beer into a new bottle, and suspected even trying to pop the cap off might cause it to bust in my hand so I wrapped it in newspaper and put it in the trash. I took great care crimping the rest of the batch, especially the other Bell's bottles like the one that cracked.

Later that afternoon I grabbed a couple of bottles of an IPA I packaged about a month ago from my beer fridge and noticed as I opened one there was no PFFSHHT at all. There were no bubbles as I poured it of course it tasted flat. The cap looked fine and the dimple was fully formed like any other bottle. I suspect my beloved ferrari capper is wearing out; it's done about 800 bottles now and maybe I push down a bit too hard on the levers accelerating wear, either way the whole thing is getting a bit loose and apparently now is pinching the bottle necks.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a bench capper for a while now after reading about how much better they are, I've also read some threads about horrific wing capper-induced injuries and feel lucky that I've escaped that fate so far. Being able to cap a broader range of bottle shapes would be great, as well as the faster process of pressing as opposed to crimping. On the other hand, I also worry about crushing bottles if I put too much force on the lever, especially with those shouldered-type Red Stripe medicine bottles which I am itching to use. I also think I read somewhere to wear a heavy glove on the hand that holds the bottle in case one shatters, but I still don't want the danger of flying glass in my kitchen, especially when my wife is right next to me filling the bottles.

Someone please talk me down off this ledge, and I don't mean by telling me to jump into kegging...

Before I started kegging.... I used both types. I busted 3 Anchor bottles with the wing capper. Never busted a bottle with the bench capper.

I’ve also recently thought about moving to a bench capper, from a wing capper. For various reasons, but mainly so that I can cap Belgian bottles and such. I just finished bottling abatch of Belgian golden strong ales in some Belgian type bottles. I went through almost an entire 120 ct bag of caps because the wing capper for some reason didn’t work as well with those bottles. I also completely broke off the tops of two of the bottles. Needless to say I didn’t keep the two 750ml of beer since I’m almost certain there were shards of glass in them.

From what I understand, most bench cappers are adjustable. So different size bottles shouldn’t be a problem. You just have to gauge the size of the bottle you are using first. Maybe try a couple to get it dialed in, then the rest of the batch should be a breeze.

Just do your research first before purchasing a bench capper. From what I’ve seen, they aren’t cheap.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, any tips/tricks/suggestions to make using a bench capper as safe as possible? As I said, my wife helps me bottle (conditioning her to hate the process as much as I do so she will let me build a keezer) and I can't risk us injuring ourselves.

I use a bench capper. A few years ago I decided if a little is good, a lot is better - started pushing down extra hard on the lever, and pushing twice, to make real sure it was a good seal. No bottles broke, but I got lots of flat beer. Apparently the extra force deformed the cap seats. So it seems that if you use moderate force, it should be ok. Still a good idea to be very careful when working with glass.

I use a bench capper. A few years ago I decided if a little is good, a lot is better - started pushing down extra hard on the lever, and pushing twice, to make real sure it was a good seal. No bottles broke, but I got lots of flat beer. Apparently the extra force deformed the cap seats. So it seems that if you use moderate force, it should be ok. Still a good idea to be very careful when working with glass.
This is interesting feedback, I do feel like I've increased my force on the capper over the last few months. I dunno why, just thought like you that more force=better seal.

In my pre-kegging days I used a bench-capper and it was great. Never had an issue with feeling like there was too much force as long as you had the height set correctly.

I have two bench cappers, one is spring loaded and the other is an old school spin-the-handle-to-adjust. Both can do from bombers to the little Ninkasi bottles. Not sure how tall a Redstripe is. They are pretty "safe" in my book, as I don't even hold the bottle while crimping. I hold it as I line up the bottle and then press down. It took a few sessions to get comfortable with the force needed to cap, but it goes pretty quickly after that.

With that said, with all things involving repurposed glass bottles and human factors, your mileage may vary.

I've been using the Agata by Ferrari for nearly 10 years. No problems. The Agata is red and better quality than the Pony. The capper should not dimple the bottles caps. Something else is going on if it does.

I wouldn't reuse Red Stripe bottles. They seem to be the thinnest glass of any commercial bottle.

I've been using the Agata by Ferrari for nearly 10 years. No problems. The Agata is red and better quality than the Pony. The capper should not dimple the bottles caps. Something else is going on if it does.

I wouldn't reuse Red Stripe bottles. They seem to be the thinnest glass of any commercial bottle.
These aren't red stripe bottles, they just have a similar "medicine bottle" shape but are from a brewery up in Michigan. They feel just as heavy as other bottles, my only problem is that the neck is so short that a wing capper can't grab under the flare to crimp.

I bought a Ferrari Super Agata ~15 years ago and never had any problems capping the long necks upon which I had standardized.
A light lube of the bell with salad oil and it crimped perfectly every time.
Still have it for the odd "road beer" scenario.
I mounted it to a chunk of 3/4" plywood I could then clamp to the edge of the counter top. Rock steady...

Cheers!

Jayjay, I think the most likely cause of breakage with wing cappers is the unbalanced force you can apply. Glass is immensely strong in compression, but doesn't handle torque at all well. I've never broken a bottle with my bench cappers, but I still wear a leather glove on my bottle hand.

That crimp mark on the cap comes from the magnet inside the bell, which my antique capper doesn't have. I don't think it tells us anything about how well the cap is sealed.

They are pretty "safe" in my book, as I don't even hold the bottle while crimping. I hold it as I line up the bottle and then press down. It took a few sessions to get comfortable with the force needed to cap, but it goes pretty quickly after that.

I found this to be true as well. No need to hold the bottle while attaching the cap, and once I got the feel for how to press down correctly, it has gone quickly ever since. I started with a wing capper and after a couple times hearing a cracking noise and then one broken bottle, I bought a bench capper instead. No issues with breakage and a lot less nerve racking.

First, if you're dimpling the caps you're putting too much pressure. Second, bench cappers are way better IMO. Third, as with any capper, don't overdo the pressure applied. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to crimp a cap. Lastly, do what I did as I did want to ensure I wouldn't get injured if a bottle broke in my hand - wear a ski glove on the hand you hold the bottle with. That's what I always did, but in approximately 2-3 years of quite frequent brewing I've never broken a single bottle.

Rev.

I swear by my bench capper. I started kegging and the bench capper is simple/easy enough that I am still not sure I am 100% onboard with kegging anything but really hoppy beers (and that has nothign to do with bottling being annoying)

I also switched to a bench capper, the super agata model, for the same reasons as listed above. First I cracked one and tossed it and then I broke one a week or two later. The bench capper even though I got it used, works great.

Couple batches back I broke a bottle with a wing capper. Got the super agata model and love it. Much more enjoyable to use after you get used to it. Lube the bell so the bottles don't stick. The only thing I don't like is having to adjust to different height bottles. I've got normal bottles and shorties like Sierra Nevada and some Kona Brewing bottles. It only takes a second to readjust the height, but I'm thinking of separating my bottles and using one type per batch of beer.

the bench capper is simple/easy enough that I am still not sure I am 100% onboard with kegging anything but really hoppy beers (and that has nothign to do with bottling being annoying)

You say that now, wait until you've made the switch :D There are so many benefits to kegging, the biggest being much much faster carbonating times and ability to change carbonation if it's not where it should be, that I can't imagine ever going back to bottling.

Rev.

A picture I posted in the Getting Started category of another forum. This is the Agata bench capper. I think some have broken the body of the capper by not having the correct height setting for the bottle. All the pressure on the lever goes to the body of the capper when the gap closes before the bottle cap is fully crimped.

resized467.jpg

These aren't red stripe bottles, they just have a similar "medicine bottle" shape but are from a brewery up in Michigan. They feel just as heavy as other bottles, my only problem is that the neck is so short that a wing capper can't grab under the flare to crimp.
North Peak Brewing in Traverse City. They sell in "Stubbies".

Bench cappers are awesome. Just use moderate pressure. I own a hand-me-down capper from a friend's father and it works great. Probably not as easy to adjust the height as some of the newer models, but I don't mind.

It's really not an issue. Sort by size, then fill and cap all of one size, adjust for the next size, and so on. Usually one setting for stubbies, one more for long necks, and done.

I have never broken a bottle with my bench capper, one of my better Homebrew investments. I generally have two bottle types, the standard height and the short 12oz (woodchuck cider, Founders beer bottles). I have a small block of wood to use for the shorter bottles that bring it to the same height as the standard 12oz bottles.

It's really not an issue. Sort by size, then fill and cap all of one size, adjust for the next size, and so on. Usually one setting for stubbies, one more for long necks, and done.

And the adjustment (depending on the model of capper) is just a few seconds. Mine is the Ferrari Duelmila, which I got from Williams Brewing.

I compared the available models and went with the Colt bench capper. I liked how the base is made, and how easy it is to adjust (literally takes about half a second, you just pull on that red trigger and slide the head where you want it). I made a wooden base for it, to give some extra stability. I haven't used it yet, but I loaned it to a friend and he said it works great.

Attachments

• IMG_20180425_144408_649.jpg
    IMG_20180425_144408_649.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
The Super Agata height can be changed from bottle to bottle in seconds, but let's face it, not having to change the height = faster production...

Cheers!

Back