Upgrading: 10 Gal or 15 Gal Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Hey guys,
If given the choice, which of these upgrades would you choose if they were all within $20 of each other and of the same quality? I brew 5 gallon batches.

• 10 Gallon Kettle w/Ballvalve, Thermometer, and False Bottom (weldless fittings)
  • 10 Gallon Kettle w/Ballvalve, Thermometer, and Sight Glass (weldless fittings)
  • 15 Gallon Kettle w/Ballvalve and Thermometer (welded fittings)

What are the pros and cons of welded fittings over weldless, if any?

George

If you're talking about a dedicated BK I'd go w/ the 15 gal. W/ or w/o the thermometer. I don't care for a sight glass on my BK. Too much of a PIA to clean.
Also, the 15 gal gives you a little more room for avoiding boil overs. Your initial volume for 5 gal requiring a 90 min boil could approach 7-8 gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you are positive that you will never want to brew a 10 gallon batch, either of the 10 gallon kettles would be fine. I would skip the thermometer if possible and also forgo the sight glass. I think of a sight glass as one more item to break and would find them difficult to clean to my standards. (I do have standards, they're pretty low but I do have them) and I'd wonder about the accuracy of the built in thermometer and whether it would catch and tear my bag full of grains. The ball valve would make emptying the kettle easier but for a 5 gallon batch I would just pick up the kettle and dump. No ball valve, no chance of gunk being trapped in there and causing an infection. JMHO

I guess it would depend on what you are doing? Are you doing all-grain or extract? What do you plan to use it for? I would go with the 15 gallon myself as you could do 10 gallon batches for all grain even if you don't plan on doing them right now. I think we all said we would stick to 5 gallons, but then you learn it is cheaper and easier to do 10 gallon batches. :mug:

If you plan on doing the occasional BIG beer or 10 gallon batches, go with the 15 gallon.

I just picked this up: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/up...ainless-steel-stock-pot-w-cover-149-a-471100/

This thing is a BEAST!!! I wish it was a little taller and little less wide. But one thing is for sure...I can't complain about the quality. It is some heavy duty ****! Ohhh...and the price certainly was right. :)

I'm in the process using a dimple tool to silver solder my couplings for a ball valve and sight glass. I was a little worried that the $4.87 dimple tool would fail since the walls of this pot are so thick but I managed to get it done.

John

since you're posting this in the biab forum , i'm just guessing that you'll be using this for biab brewing ;)

in which case you definitely don't want the thermometer probe sticking out into the bag . whether or not the bag can take it , it makes it a ***** to stir .

doing a "big" beer in a 10 gal pot is doable but you'll have to be watching it . a 15-20# grain bill takes up a lot of space .

i went 16gal w/ ball valve and false bottom .

cheers

I pushed the limit with 5 gal. BIAB batches in a 10 gal BK. Sure, you can hold back a couple gallons of water in the mash then pour-over sparge after the grains are hoisted out. But if you ever want to do a high-gravity beer, you will be happier with the 15 gal. kettle.

As for weldless fittings, I have never had a problem with them leaking. But if the 15 comes with welded fittings, and the cost is very close, so much the better. If you ever decide you want to remove the thermo, you can easily plug the fitting with a $3 ss plug.

I've never used a sight glass, and keeping one clean sounds like a PITA. If you want to know how many gallons is in your BK, you can make a dipstick from a dowel.

Well I finally decided on the 15 Gal welded..... OMG is this thing a beast!.... LOL

I hope to brew in it this weekend if I can find the time and adjust my equipment profile.

George

Not trying to hijack the thread, but MaxStout, where do you get SS plugs? I am using a 6" thermometer probe that I punched through my keggle to install. You are exactly right about making it a PITA to stir. Also, my wort chiller gets caught on it when I'm trying to move it in and out of the wort.

Are those easily found at the local hardware or LHBS?

I would go with the 15 gallon. I just upgraded my kettle to 10 gallon for my first BIAB. I made a double IPA and with all the grains and water in there, it was filled almost to the brim. 15 gallon would just make it so much easier.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but MaxStout, where do you get SS plugs? I am using a 6" thermometer probe that I punched through my keggle to install. You are exactly right about making it a PITA to stir. Also, my wort chiller gets caught on it when I'm trying to move it in and out of the wort.

Are those easily found at the local hardware or LHBS?

The ones at the hardware store are usually brass, but you can get a stainless steel plug here.

If you are positive that you will never want to brew a 10 gallon batch, either of the 10 gallon kettles would be fine. I would skip the thermometer if possible and also forgo the sight glass. I think of a sight glass as one more item to break and would find them difficult to clean to my standards. (I do have standards, they're pretty low but I do have them) and I'd wonder about the accuracy of the built in thermometer and whether it would catch and tear my bag full of grains. The ball valve would make emptying the kettle easier but for a 5 gallon batch I would just pick up the kettle and dump. No ball valve, no chance of gunk being trapped in there and causing an infection. JMHO

Wouldnt a 90 minute boil kill any bacteria in the ball valve?

I would go with the 15 gallon. I just upgraded my kettle to 10 gallon for my first BIAB. I made a double IPA and with all the grains and water in there, it was filled almost to the brim. 15 gallon would just make it so much easier.

But it's not as if it's boiling at that time. I'm about to do a batch with 7 gallons of water and about 13 lbs of grain. Hoping it fits!

/Will always still be figuring it out/

But it's not as if it's boiling at that time. I'm about to do a batch with 7 gallons of water and about 13 lbs of grain. Hoping it fits!

Right, but when I had to stir I spilled a little, not a ton but it really made me wish I had a bigger kettle. Good luck! I think that would fit just fine, I had 8 gallons of water and 17 lbs of grain.

Right, but when I had to stir I spilled a little, not a ton but it really made me wish I had a bigger kettle. Good luck! I think that would fit just fine, I had 8 gallons of water and 17 lbs of grain.

Uggh! I just upgraded and I see having to do it again very soon now.

Back