updated design for hop spiders?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I was following a thread from a year ago that detailed the design of a nylon bag build around a ss ring however I see noone has really responded to that thread in quite some time. I also happened to see a more recent thread where it looked like the design changed a little where instead of the nylon bag it was ss mesh molded into a more permanent cylinder. I'm just wondering were there problems being found with the nylon bag, I'm putting my first AG kit together and was thinking of making a hop spider, or do people still use the nylon bag configuration. I will be using an immersion chiller for 5 Gal batches if that matters, don't know if one design may be better suited for this over the other, I also don't have a BK with a spigot so I'll either be siphoning into the fermentor or pouring the wort off through a filter.

nothing wrong with either type. the cylinder costs more. i use the bags.

The hop spider is handy since it is open and ready to accept hop additions. FWIW a hop bag can also be secured to the kettle rim with a simple clip or clothes pin. Hops can also just be tossed in the boil and allowed to settle either in the kettle or fermenter...lots of ways to do it...cheers!

The stainless mesh hop tube is just a more durable and involved solution to the problem, which some prefer.

Hop spiders are great. I used a stainless sink adapter for a garbage disposal. When using with your chiller, the bag will sit right in the middle. I use paint stainer bags, real cheap. Mine has three arms, I saw on that had two and it seemed to work great.

I use SS mesh... I like the rigidity.
At the end of the brew, I hose it out, run it through the dishwasher, and that's it.
The hop bags didn't seem to clean up well, and I found myself just buying new ones each time. I hate having to run to the store for a strainer.

Well thanks for the info looks like ill keep with the plan and make one for myself.

I use the paint strainer bags. buy them bulk on amazon and toss them when I am done since the time cleaning isn't worth the few $$ unless i brew 2-3 beers in a day then I will rinse them out.

I use the paint strainer bags. buy them bulk on amazon and toss them when I am done since the time cleaning isn't worth the few $$ unless i brew 2-3 beers in a day then I will rinse them out.

me too... an buck a bag on amazon.

Back