unviable starter - pitch new yeast into it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgers

Reaction score
So I tried to make a belgian strong ale yeast starter today for a belgian i'm brewing tomorrow. the yeast had been in my fridge for 5 months and was leftovers from a 4 week old primary fermentation on a good belgian. it looked white and even made some hissing sounds as it warmed up. however, at i sloshed it around at room temp in my mason jar, it started to look brown and not alive. i pitched it into my starter wort and 10 hours later, i cant coax a bubble out when i swirl it in the flask. seems pretty dead.

so i know i better rush out to the Brooklyn Homebrew shop and get probably 2 smack packs to get a good complete fermentation out of this belgian tomorrow.

Question: do i just inflate the smack packs, or do i pitch them into the unviable starter? Maybe the dead yeast is good protein nutrient? Or maybe it just adds bad taste and brown color?

Jason

Chances are, your starter is fine if you properly stored the yeast. It's very hard to kill yeast if you didn't freeze it. Also, I've only noticed activity on 2-3 starters out of the hundred or so that I've made.

you know what- waited another 12 hours and it's humming away with a nice head of foam on it! all it needs is time i guess!
J

Back