Universal poppet problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phreaky

Reaction score
Anyone ever have this issue with their universal poppets? How did you fix it? Best I can tell, it happens from removing the disconnect too quickly, but I can't reproduce the issue on demand. They're all brand new poppets, and after installing them on about 12 kegs, I've had it happen twice in the past couple months. Kind of a pain, because then the keg has to stay hooked up until empty.
20190908_174404.jpg

I have them on about 30 kegs for a couple of years, never had a problem.

Is it possible keg was over carbed? Also check the line fitting to see that the part that pushes on the poppet is lined up right.

I'm not sure why you could not let off gas pressure and remove the head and re position o ring, then hook back up to gas. Seems like it probably wouldn't hold pressure with no O ring anyway.

I've got 10 kegs. I've never seen that happen. I've replaced those orings and the poppets a zillion times, using both the universals and the normal poppet assemblies. It almost looks like the oring on that poppet was the wrong size.

BTW, I've never seen that particular type of post, with the odd pegs on it. For me, it would get tossed because my wrench would not fit over that.

KegWrench.jpg

Unfortunately, a "universal" part doesn't always work on everything. It appears that the hole machined in the top of the post is an unusually large diameter, allowing the o-ring to squeeze through. The metal top of the poppet should be a pretty close match to the diameter of the hole in the post. Hopefully, you don't have those same posts on all 12 of your kegs.

What is printed on the side of the post? You may be able to find a better fit with different poppets.

Last edited:
That pic is exactly why I only use universal poppets on non-critical items, like cleaning apparatus.
I had the same thing happen and got hosed with beer, so only oem poppets for my kegs...

Cheers!

Interesting, most of mine are firestones from the early '80s, and the universals work better than the alleged OEM ones. I have a couple of actual cornelius kegs, they seem to be the outlyers in my fleet, and are not in active rotation.

You could snip 1/2 turn off the bottom of the spring on that one (once you get it apart) I have read some one here shared that with me when I was asking about Universals for my Firestone Pin lock Poppet.
I used all of that the type, on all 3 of my kegs, all six posts, I also lubed them with food grade lube.
I know they are universal, but can you compare the old with the new and see if the poppet size itself is the same, it looks almost a 'smidge' smaller the hole....
I also would guess that the O - Ring is compromised after being jammed up like that and may repeat

Is the top of the poppet sitting on the spring upside down? The bottom half is narrower than the top half. I use them, and have never experienced your issue. Odd.

It
Looks like A. It was over pressurized or
B. It has the wrong size O ring on it.

I have seen the same thing on other quick release fittings that have had the wrong O ring. It could also be just a crappy O ring that has been stretched out. Replacing the rings should take care of the problem.

fwiw, when it happened to me it was with a universal poppet that had made it through at least three cycles prior to failing.

My diagnosis was the little O-ring simply stuck to the inside of the keg post instead of riding down with the universal "post" when I engaged the beer QD and the QD plunger dislodged it so it was then loose inside the keg post. But all was fine - until I removed the QD and got blasted...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back