Universal malts and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalePaul249

Reaction score
Looking for ideas on different types of malts and hops that can be used in several recipes. What are some "go to" malts and hops that can be used for a multitude of different recipes? Are there any that are considered "universal"? Suggestions and past experiences welcomed.

Are you planning to buy bulk? If your making ales I would say 2 Row pale malt and for Hops, well that really depends on style. Planning on brewing American ales, English, German???? That sorta dictates what hops you should be going for (if brewing to style). I think I use Perle the most, followed by Hallertau and I really like Magnum for bittering. Although I Use Cascade alot as well. So those would be my Top 4 Choices in Hops.

Are you planning to buy bulk? If your making ales I would say 2 Row pale malt and for Hops, well that really depends on style. Planning on brewing American ales, English, German???? That sorta dictates what hops you should be going for (if brewing to style). I think I use Perle the most, followed by Hallertau and I really like Magnum for bittering. Although I Use Cascade alot as well. So those would be my Top 4 Choices in Hops.

We're most interested in different kinds of ales and stouts. I personally prefer American ales, but definitely willing to do English as well

2-row, Maris Otter, Pilsner, Wheat, and C60 will pretty much make any English/American style beer, and with a little Munich/Vienna and Chocolate/Roasted Barley, you can basically make every other beer.

Hops are a whole different story though because it really depends on taste and style. You can't go wrong keeping Columbus around for bittering, and of course Cascade for flavor/aroma. For the English styles, you can basically use either Kent goldings or Fuggles exclusively, depending on preference.

Back