Unique use for coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellmtbbq

Reaction score
Not running a recipe through, but here to ask for a question. I'm entering a contest in April that must use coffee- it must be noticeable and have coffee flavor but not overpowering. Knowing everyone will enter stouts or porters, and I 'm not an experienced stout brewer (and don't like them), I want to enter something fun and different.

IPA? A few beers on RateBeer had good reviews as coffee IPAs. Coffee bitter and hop bitter working together?

Dubbel or a quad? I don't know, not a fan of Trappist style yeasts but an option.

Brown ale is a little too stereotypical.

Smoked beer? Too much going on with coffee?

A bock?

Thanks

I wonder how light you can go...a coffee blond ale? If you could do it, it would certainly be unexpected. Obviously the coffee itself will darken the beer, so maybe you can only get away with a coffee amber ale.

Though, in a lightly flavored ale, you wouldn't need that much coffee for it to come through...hmmm...I might have to experiment with this myself.

What about a coffee Helles, or other pale yellow beer? Secondary on cracked (but not ground) beans of a really bold variety of coffee. I bet you nobody else will do that...and it could be really good. :)

Edit: Dang! Ninja'd by JLem!

I would cold steep the coffee if you add it to the secondary and not add beans whatever you decide. Beans will add tannins that could really be noticeable.

Jon_TWR said:
What about a coffee Helles, or other pale yellow beer? Secondary on cracked (but not ground) beans of a really bold variety of coffee. I bet you nobody else will do that...and it could be really good. :)

Edit: Dang! Ninja'd by JLem!

Great minds think alike! Some are just faster than others :)

Hmm great ideas! I might attack the Black IPA idea, but regardless I would certainly cold press it.

I home roast my own coffee, and I have some very nice Costa Rican full city roast around, so let's go!

I'm relatively new to brewing, what step does the coffee come in at? How do you do this? I'm brewing a black IPA next week and wanted to know how to brew it with coffee.

Scotch Ale or ESB might work well with a light, but noticeable coffee flavor. In fact I may have to try that now that that I think of it...

pbaughman said:
I'm relatively new to brewing, what step does the coffee come in at? How do you do this? I'm brewing a black IPA next week and wanted to know how to brew it with coffee.

Most folks would add it in secondary, after the primary fermentation is complete. However I gave heard of some craft breweries that add the coffee in the mash...sort of like a dark roasted grain.

I did a lot of reading before my first coffee porter and now, after multiple batches, it's pretty darn good...my friends tell me (especially female coffee lovers). Here are some thoughts. (BTW be sanitary but don't worry...I've never introduced infection this way)
2 days before bottling:
1) Preboil the water so it's de-oxygenated, then chill about 2 quarts
2) add 1/2 pound finely ground fresh bold coffee (I use dark peruvian) and cover
3) leave alone for 48 hours in a cool/cold place (fridge) but go ahead and swirl from time to time
4) allow to settle then either use a (somewhat sanitized) coffee press to further reduce chunkiness (tech term?) or filter paper (slow and boring, but probably worth it if you're doing a light beer)
5) on bottling day, draw ("sacrifice") about 16 ounces while siphoning but before adding sugar
6) now this is the tough but fun part. Do the math. 2 quarts on 5 gallons (20 qts) means maximum 2:20 ratio (1:10) So make 3 or 4 samples with different ratios coffee:beer. This needs to be pretty precise because once you decide which sample is the right ratio you'll be scaling up to 5 gallon and pouring it in the bottling bucket.
7) have fun running taste comparisons with at least one germ-free friend and pick the taste you want.

So let's say you do 1:10, 1:20 and 1:30 (I suggest three 5-ounce beers and add 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz and 1/6 oz...BTW 1 fluid oz = 6 tsp )and decide you like the lightest (1:30)...more math...you need to add 1/30th of 20 quarts of coffee to the 20 quarts of beer. That's about 21 ounces of cold-brewed coffee (20x32/30). OK...so precision might be overrated...get it close.

A couple more things.
-After conditioning, store as cold and as long as possible before serving...especially if you've made a light-colored beer. A lot of dark dust will settle out eventually.
-My coffee porter really ages well...it's just tough to save it for a year...but it's really mellow then
-Don't throw away leftover coffee...make a nice iced coffee...learn how smooth cold-brewed coffee can be.
-Sometimes we put in 2/3 of the coffee, bottle half the batch, then add the other 1/3. That way half the batch is twice as strong coffee-wise (more math). Sometimes I'll bottle a few without any coffee as "control" specimens.
-excellent barter opportunity...my friend has a coffee company so he comes over to bottle and I trade a case (24) for 3# of coffee...I get 2.5# high quality coffee out of the deal (the other 1/2# is in the beer)
Sorry for the long post.

Please read my quotes below and have fun! Hope this helps.

PS I essentially use Palmer's Port O Palmer Porter recipe pg. 223 of my copy of How to Brew.

-Sometimes we put in 2/3 of the coffee, bottle half the batch, then add the other 1/3. That way half the batch is twice as strong coffee-wise (more math). Sometimes I'll bottle a few without any coffee as "control" specimens.

I like this process. Then you can test each version and see which has the level of coffee you prefer for the beer.

I had a coffee Bock last year that was really good! I've always thought a dopplebock with good Ethiopian beans would be pretty dang tasty.

No matter what style you end up doing I truly believe you should always try to match a coffee to the beer instead of just using any old coffee. I think it makes a huge difference!

The jamil show had a episode that was really good where they tried to clone wake n bake. The head brewer talked about how he came up with the blend of coffees for the beer. You should check it out. He basically bought some commercial beer that would be close to his beer and then cold pressed a bunch of different coffee and screwed with adding different mixtures until he found the perfect blend and amount.

My House Brew is a fantastic coffee amber ale. I do no more than brew a basic amber ale (midwest supplies autumn amber is great) and a few days before bottling I add 16 oz of COLD BREWED coffee to the 5 gallon batch. After one month its good, after two months it is great.
For the cold brewed coffee, get some quality coffee and simply put the grounds in a pitcher (I couldn't tell you how much, but don't be scared. Make it potent), fill the pitcher with water, and put it in the fridge for at least two days. I do a week.
It doesn't change my coloring at all. And it is continuously the best beer I have on tap. I have more than one person trying to convince me to "go public" (which I have no desire to do, if I want to stay married) so they can sell it at their restaurant.

What does green coffee taste like? I have no knowledge or expertise in this area, but that won't stop me from speculatin'. :hs: I was thinking roasted coffee might lend unwanted roastytoasty taste and dark color to an otherwise light style of beer, but you wouldn't get those effects with green coffee beans. But I have no idea if they taste horrendous ... anybody know? Surely they taste quite different from roasted beans, and maybe that would be cheating in a "coffee flavor" competition, but just throwing that out there as a potential nugget of an idea.

all of the distinctive coffee flavors develop during roasting

i know this as my first batch of coffee was underroasted and reminded me of wet sawdust!

Latest posts

Back